Mods broke my game

I use the steam version of Game Dev Tycoon. I love the game, but I wanted to spice up the gameplay with some mods. I went into the steam workshop to pick up some mods. With that, I launched my game, loaded the mods, and restarted as usually. The mods that I grabbed (I can’t remember which) didn’t run well. They made the game kinda buggy, and then crash. I couldn’t disable the mods. So I did what any rational person would do. I uninstalled the mods. This created MORE problems. Now everything I do, such as try to start to do the basic tasks, I’m greeted by an error message. (I wrote out the message below)

(Start message) TypeError: Cannot read property ‘name’ of null
(New line)If the issues persists please report this error to support@greenheartgames.com(which didn’t bring help) / (NEW LINE) : Enabled Mods (below) No mods activated
(Next line) Game Version 1.5.28
(Next line) Platform: Windows
(Next line) Distribution: Steam
(End error message) I need help, I hope someone can provide help. And yes, I have tried going into the mod menu to disable the mods. It isn’t there.
Thanks ~ OD

You could’ve taken a screenshot…

Are you trying to continue on the save you used the mods before? If so that won’t work. If even a new game doesn’t work then reinstall the game

1 Like

Once you’ve used mods that affect gameplay, I’m pretty sure you can’t disable them for the save you used them on. I think your save file is “corrupted” and the only way to play on it is by using the mods you previously installed, or creating a new save file without any mods.

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble!

Did you already email us about this? I wasn’t able to find any recent messages with this exact error.

Regardless, I can tell you - and hopefully I won’t be repetitious - that the error you describe usually pertains to a corrupted save file, as Game Dev Tycoon is trying to load up information that has been changed (since your mods were disabled).

What we usually recommend here, and because you already disabled your mods, is to verify your Steam cache and then start up a new game by hitting ESC as soon as you open Game Dev Tycoon. This should overwrite your current save, thus stopping this error message from appearing.

Hope this helps!

I should take a screenshot, huh?

But I have reinstalled the game. The error reappears.

Thanks for trying to help!

I will try this out. Thanks.