May i release my mod (directly edited game files)

I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to redistribute the game’s code, edited or not. Have you not read the modding agreement?

Personally, I’ve never done it, but some people just inject the code through a mod. Doesn’t sound like it’d be that hard either. Take a look at other open-source mod’s code and see how they do it because I can’t seem to remember.

that’s why i’m asking. i don’t gain anything by releasing it but it might generate a few fans for GHG ^._.^

injecting doesn’t work because i modded many small parts of many functions inside the code. with injection i would have to use the functions as they are.

I believe @FireChaos may be more of an assistance. He’s not amazing, but I’ve heard him talk about injecting code and all that stuff. @FireChaos can you talk to this guy?

I have been summoned.

So in general:
as @chizbejoe said; I’m not really amazing or something, but I’m somewhat above average. If you want to override a part of the code, you’ll have to make a new function, insert the old one in there, and add any extra items you want for example.

//Original Function
var printMe = function (me) {
    return console.log(me)
}

//your function, overriden with more items.
var extendTheFunctionInMyMod = function () {
   printMe("FireChaos")
   var giveCookie = function () {
       return "also given a cookie!"
   }
}

Did I cover you? any questions?
By the way: you can only override global functions, or variables.
Variables in functions cannot be overriden, so as to change the function.
That’s an irritating problem :confused:

for the time being,
I’ll be waiting

in addition by extending, i can only add things at the end, right? like i said i’ve modded small things all over the code. and there not only variables, but even lots of functions inside functions… injection won’t work. thx though =)

Yep, only to the end, unfortunately.

Currently, this is not supported but we are investigating options. Can you send me your mod via PM along a few screenshots to show what you’ve added in-game. Thanks.

for those who followed this thread =) i talked to patrick. they’re hesitant but it will take a while until they decide on anything. here’s a few teasers =) if anyone wants to turn this into a mod i can send him the functions for the game, engine and console histories (pm me). they will show blanks for values that the original game does not store, but should be mostly functional.

dance!

Uploading gh_cl.jpg…

I don’t understand… What does this mod add? If you cannot say here, please PM me.
EDIT: Just re-read the thread. Doesn’t seem like anything too amazing.

Can someone put into context what is “not supported”? Does this mean releasing a mod through editing of the game’s source code is “not supported” or does it mean that some type of coding function blah blah is not supported?

Decide on what? What’s the goal here?

As you can see, I am very confused. :confused:

I actually like this mod, you can see your Console History, Engine history and some more info about the games you made. It’s not much, but it would be a small cool improvement.

I think it’s ‘Not Supported’ to edit the source code, but that doesn’t mean you can’t edit the games code. As you can see, @letsdance0 did it.

like lukas said, the idea was to improve information. i often wondered if building that console actually paid off. or what engine i used for that game that i want to make a sequel for. or if my current technology allows me to build a significantly better engine than the last one. or… this game also lives from creating the story of your company, and for me those additional reports add to that feeling (remember, in year 7 when we build our 2nd engine…).

there’s other small things: better info about of big projects (do you know how much an AAAmarketing campaign actually costs and what it does?), more details in the cash log (why did i get 5k fans?), and options to speed up displays, change/pause game speed and/or turn off console flavor texts.

like lukas said, i directly edited the game files so i can’t publish it without permission of GHG, and i’m not motivated to do the extra work for turning it into a real mod. i think the reports shown above could be turned into a real mod with acceptable afford. that’s why i offered it here, if anyone’s able and interested.

I think it is illegal to release directly edited game files?

kill me

@Today that’s why i’m not doing it. duh. maybe you should read the thread again. i just offered to copy the specific functions needed for these reports if anyone wants to turn them into a real mod.

Welp, it was worth the weight.

Trust me, it’s not.

Maybe not illegal, but it would certainly be breaking a agreement you made with GHG when you buy the game/Infringing on copyright property, which i think best describes it.

“Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works.”

Sorry if some class this a necro btw, but it was near to the top of the topics

Plagiarizes as he talks about copyright infringement. I say this because you didn’t cite your source. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

except that i didn’t make an agreement with GHG when i bought the game. and by the way, breaking an agreement is illegal.

but i don’t understand why this keeps popping up. i asked GHG and i stated that i won’t release it without their consent. so what’s the problem?

No problem… Was only stating… But by buying the game, you accept the TOS… Again, just saying