Logical Problem with Gamedev/ Dev Philosophy

It seems like you claim on your website that you want to adress the game industry with this game, especially big companies that just throw out clones of the game that was released the year before.

But doesn’t your game end up promoting this style of development since you can basically start throwing out sequels of your games all the time and get lots of fans and money with them?
I’d like to see a small change to the game where more variety of games is giving you much much higher sales if sucessful than just the 10th sequel of a game you already released.

I don’t want to criticize Greenheartgames in any way, I really love their game and would love to see a respone by the devs on this topic and why the chose this to be the way the game works.
Maybe to just get it closer to modern game industry where people buy the 10th instance of Battlefield, CoD, Assassins Creed name them all, even though they dont provide anything new compared to older titles, besides some graphics and small changes?

But after all, I love the philosophy the company Greenheartgames works with, stopping all this early access Beta pre release Crowdfunded stuff or the 10th clone of a game we already have seen enough of.
I don’t even want to check how much time I played Game Dev Tycoon on a single day when I had free time, but it’s way too much, but that’s good since I enjoy every second.

After all, this is just the one thing that really bugs me about it. To have more Variety be paid of much more than just going the EA/Ubisoft route of Game Development.

I’d like to hear if some other people would love to see a change in the game in that point aswell or if they think it should be kept like that.

Anyway, thanks for reading and hearing out my opinion about the game/Company!

Sequels in GDT come with risks. If you make a sequel to a game and don’t have enough innovation (new engine, new features), it will generally be received negatively. Sequels are not a ‘easy win’ scenario, at least they weren’t designed as such.

We also made it more important to experiment with new topic/genre combos by giving the player a research bonus if they do so. If you only stick with one topic-genre, you’ll have a much harder time coming up with new tech.

Crap, philosophy…

im sorry its the only related content i had.

But yeah, Chicken, it is a bit hard to break away from mainstream games, as that’s all you ever see these days, and every other game that isn’t mainstream is considered ‘Hipster’ or ‘fagitragit’. It’s a bit hard to have an appealing, popular game whilst juggling the stereotypical values of a ‘Game Developing Game’.

1 Like