[Linux] Linux .deb Install Problem

nope, still no luck. Maybe the game needs the 32bit versions of this file?

gilligan@ThinkPad-T430u:~$ sudo apt-get install libgconf2-4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libgconf2-4
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,046 B of archives.
After this operation, 386 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/main libgconf2-4 amd64 3.2.6-0ubuntu1 [2,046 B]
Fetched 2,046 B in 1s (1,780 B/s)      
Selecting previously unselected package libgconf2-4:amd64.
(Reading database ... 196007 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgconf2-4:amd64 (from .../libgconf2-4_3.2.6-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up libgconf2-4:amd64 (3.2.6-0ubuntu1) ...
gilligan@ThinkPad-T430u:~$ gamedevtycoon
gamedevtycoon: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I’ve ended up Installing the Windows version in Wine & it works fine apart from no sound.

Roland

gross, that’s nasty.

Yeah probably, if you’re runnin x64bit, go ahead and try? (sudo apt-get install ligconf2-4:i386)

well that did do stuff, but it looks like there’s still more to go…

gilligan@ThinkPad-T430u:~$ sudo apt-get install libgconf2-4:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libdbus-glib-1-2:i386 libgconf-2-4:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libdbus-glib-1-2:i386 libgconf-2-4:i386 libgconf2-4:i386
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 155 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,189 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/main libdbus-glib-1-2 i386 0.100.2-1 [74.2 kB]
Get:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/main libgconf-2-4 i386 3.2.6-0ubuntu1 [78.8 kB]
Get:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/main libgconf2-4 i386 3.2.6-0ubuntu1 [2,046 B]
Fetched 155 kB in 2s (57.8 kB/s)       
Selecting previously unselected package libdbus-glib-1-2:i386.
(Reading database ... 196015 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libdbus-glib-1-2:i386 (from .../libdbus-glib-1-2_0.100.2-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgconf-2-4:i386.
Unpacking libgconf-2-4:i386 (from .../libgconf-2-4_3.2.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgconf2-4:i386.
Unpacking libgconf2-4:i386 (from .../libgconf2-4_3.2.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libdbus-glib-1-2:i386 (0.100.2-1) ...
Setting up libgconf-2-4:i386 (3.2.6-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libgconf2-4:i386 (3.2.6-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
gamedevtycoon: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

@Gilligan94 If you are on 64bit try this:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

That should get you what all you need

I did as you said (I wont post the install output here because it will take up a lot of space) but I still get the following error

gamedevtycoon: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Would this be the correct place to ask if the devs have any intention of maintaining a PPA?

tis a shame, PPAs are nice

i have tried EVERY suggested solution in this thread. none of them work (though thanks for all your efforts). the first game i’ve bought in my life that has refused to work despite all efforts. if i was getting paid by the hour then the devs owe me a fair bit of cash.
your first game greenheart games? i’d predict the company would never have moved out of the garage if linux was a major factor your plans. i don’t mean to be negative…just wasted far too much time on this. if anything improves (re: 64 bit debs) then i hope purchasers are notified via email.
goodnight.

Okay, I’m going to post a thorough description of what’s going on here in the hope that it will help all of you who are having issues on Linux. There are two ways of running the game on Linux, and you can do either.

1. Run the binary provided by GHG (by installing the .deb or by extracting the .tar.gz).
  2. Extract the source code of the game and run it with node-webkit directly
  3. (Technically there is a third way - you can extract the source and open it directly in a browser, but I’ll leave that for now…)

Both #1 and #2 require some fiddling to get everything to work. Let’s try #1 first. What GHG have done is “compiled” the game using an (old) 32-bit version of a program called node-webkit. Trying to run ./gamedevtycoon and getting errors are usually because of one of two issues (or both if you’re unlucky). On 32-bit systems, I’d probably recommend #1, but on 64-bit systems, #2 is probably preferable.

First, if you are running a 64-bit OS (run “uname -m” and look for x86_64), you will need 32-bit versions of several libraries. From what I’ve been able to see, GDT requires libnss, libgconf and libudev, so go ahead and install the 32-bit versions of any of those that you get errors for when trying to run the game. “apt-cache search” is your friend.

Second, node-webkit uses an outdated version of libudev, namely libudev.so.0. When the game starts, it looks for that file in the system’s library folder. Because it was compiled on a 32-bit system, it will look for the 32-bit version, so it will be looking in /usr/lib on 32-bit systems and /usr/lib32 on 64-bit systems. Thing is, libudev.so.0 will probably not be there, so we need to trick the system into using libudev.so.1 which works just as well. The ugly workaround is to run ln -s /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 /usr/lib/libudev.so.0 as root. Note that if you are on a 64-bit system, you need to use /usr/lib32 instead! If you’ve done all of this, the game should work correctly.

The “better” way of running GDT on 64-bit systems is to do as I’ve outlined in this blog post. First, you need to extract the game from the .tar.gz to some directory. Now, run unzip gamedevtycoon, and you should end up with lots of additional files in the current directory - those are the source files for the game. Now, we want to run it using an up-to-date, native (that is, 64-bit on a 64-bit system) version of node-webkit.

Download the appropriate binary from here and put the files inside in the same folder as GDT, overwriting any conflicting files. That is not the end of it, however, because node-webkit still has some dependencies. The advantage is that we can now use the native versions of them! So, make sure you have nss, gconf and udev installed before we continue. The last step now is to get over node-webkit’s old libudev version, so we have to do the same hack as we did for #1: ln -s /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 /usr/lib/libudev.so.0. Since we’re now using a 64-bit binary on 64-bit systems, use /usr/lib/ on all systems, not /usr/lib32/!

So, finally, to run the game with approach #2, go into the directory where all the files now are and run nw ./, and everything should be working perfectly.

Hope this is helpful to someone, and enjoy the game!

you’ve been very thorough…none of this should be necessary though. think:humble bundle.

The developers evidently have little experience with packaging on Linux, and their user base exploded overnight, overwhelming with bug reports, feature requests and support queries. Could things have been done better, sure, but I think under the circumstances, the situation is fully excusable.

1 Like

this had better be a joke. this dev has done a nice thing by releasing their game across multiple platforms. it’s not easy to maintain a program across multiple platforms.

this is exactly what happened. I’m very sorry, I clearly underestimated the knowledge required to package the linux version and I should’ve tested better… we are working on an update.

this had better be a joke

is that a threat of some sort?
i’m not making a joke. the devs haven’t done a ‘nice thing’…they’re running a business and have released a product. the product, for me, isn’t fit for use.
good to see that they’re working on it and i do hope that the problems, that lots of users seem to be having, are sorted soon.

why would I make a threat across the internet? surly it would carry no weight?

We have updated the packages. Please try them out:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/linux-v1-3-8-updated-packages/2681

Thanks

The update did not help me much, I just had some sound problems so i got the new update and now it will not even run.
I’m having trouble finding where the binary file was installed… i cant find it in /usr/games or /usr/bin or /bin
and the folder “/usr/share/gamedevtycoon/” no longer exsists?

here is my output: good luck!

gamedevtycoon-1.3.9.deb.i386-x64 $ sudo dpkg -i gamedevtycoon-1.3.9-2.amd64.deb
(Reading database … 216879 files and directories is currently installed.)
Prepare to replace gamedevtycoon 1.3.9-2 (using gamedevtycoon-1.3.9-2.amd64.deb) …
Unpacking replacement gamedevtycoon …
Sets up gamedevtycoon (1.3.9-2) …
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon …
Rebuilding / usr / share / applications / bamf.index …
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils …
Processing triggers for gnome-menus …

$ gamedevtycoon

gamedevtycoon: command not found

aha!!! I found it!
just run /opt/greenheartgames/gamedevtycoon %u

mind you, my installation worked before! dependencys solved and therefore it was not that hard

1 Like