[Linux] Linux .deb Install Problem

Install the lib32-gtk3.

I think this should be enough:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libgconf-2-4:i386 libnss3:i386

However i see graphic glitch, overlay problems, etc… I noticed these errors:

[5207:0429/181732:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(146)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
[5225:0429/181734:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(179)] Running without renderer sandbox

The game is unplayable.

I get that when run in the terminal. Also I keep getting a javascript popup saying [Object Event] while loading the place after garage and it keeps spamming this to the terminal:
[20720:0429/114608:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(159)] GTK theme error: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “murrine”,

I confirm the javascript error.

Did anyone succesfully installed this on 64bit Fedora?
In F17 x64 I’m getting the following error (already installed 32bit GConf2):

$ sudo rpm -ivh gamedevtycoon-1.3.1.rpm
Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
file /lib from install of gamedevtycoon-1.3.1-1.i386 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3-2.fc17.x86_64

Update: Running from tar.gz works fine though.

The bug is a known problem and a solution is being worked on.

See: [Linux] Linux version crash

For a temporary workaround:
When the game starts the contents are unpacked.
Start the game Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to the console.
login
ps ax | grep gamedev | grep working-directory
see where the working directory is
cd
mv images/superb/level2Desk.png images/superb/level2desk.png
Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the game

Since the content is unpacked when the game is started this has to be done while the game is running. As soon as you exit the game the temporary files are deleted.

I am on Mint 13 and am also getting the libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 error.

I’m on Ubuntu 13.04 (64 bit).

I installed the game with the Ubuntu Software Center or via terminal (dpkg -i ) and I didn’t get it running.
The installation process works fine (so the game is installed) but I do get the following error after clean installation:

• some libgtkk*so.0 file couldn’t be found

I installed “ia32-libs” via the terminal. But that did not solve my problem. Now I get the error message:

• “error while loading shared libarires: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or diirectory”.

I also tried downloading the node-webkit. But didn’t solve the problem. So I’m open to suggestions or bugfixes.

If you need any further information, just contact me.

I’m on Mint Debian 64-bit. Can’t start the game:

./gamedevtycoon: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Trying to install libgconf2-4:i386 fails with dependencies that can’t be met. ia32-libs installed, but libgconf is not included there so no effect.

Waiting for a 64-bit release :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, i am using an Ubuntu 12.10.

i’m running ubuntu studio 13.04 64 bit.
'error while loading shared libarires: libudev.so.0’
all 32 bit libs are installed. so is chromium.
doesn’t work after using the software centre or dpkg -i
tried extracting the tar too…still nothing. also tried the symlink. nope.

I have the same problems on 13.04 64bit and I have tried everything listed here and more, I am currently testing the windows version using wine and its seems to be running ok, other than the fonts looking bad. Now this is definitely not a solution, I will keep trying to get the native version running, with my fingers crossed, as A native version is what we need and want :smiley:

UPDATE:
Wine version works perfect except some minor font problems, still no luck with native version.

i tried it under wine…didn’t work. a raft of error messages and the game never even started.

Which Linux distro and which version of wine?, still working great for me.

For those having issues with library versions and 64/32 bit issues, I’ve posted a pretty neat workaround here:
http://techthat.net/2013/05/01/game-dev-tycoon-on-linux/

2 Likes

Well, still not working for me. Still have a black screen, a mouse pointer and music when i launch the game, but that’s all

I edit my message just to say that following the link just above woked for me
In fact, i missed the part where i should have install node-webkit myself
After replaced the file in the tar.gz of the game by the one from node-webkit, it seems to work
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Great, thanks! Works very well. Maybe include the note from Patrick on where to download node-webkit from, and what version to use in the guide:

I’m using the very latest one (0.5.1 I think) and it’s working fine.

1 Like

still not working for me…and i’m no linux amateur
got the latest node-webkit…still getting errors…
'error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory’
and nothing starts. 64 bit linux is not a rare beast these days. i’ve been running it for 3 years. how close is a working version…or how can i ask for a refund…
as i said above (somewhere) ubuntu studio 13.04…8gig of ram…nvidia card…

Guys I have the linux fixes coming out shortly, just hang tight! Right now we are testing it on Ubuntu 12.04 32 and 64 bit. I plan to test it on 13.04 as well as Mint (latest) and Fedora (latest). Any other suggested distros to look at?

Thanks,
Fyber