Isometric Grid for graphics [Version 1]

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS NOT A MOD, BUT A TOOL / ASSASISTANCE TO CREATE BETTER GRAPHICS FOR MODS.

Hey guys,
after a long time I decided to get into GDT again, especially as a big update seems to come out soon.
I wanted to continue work on a mod I started arround a year ago and noticed that the graphics weren’t really where I wanted them to be, as the perspective was completely wrong, so I decided to create an isometric grid to make it easier to draw graphics in the perspective of the original graphics by Greenheart games.
the grid can be found here : https://i.imgur.com/9jQWGW3.png

I based it on the angles of the screen of the grPad, wich were 30.4° (orange/brown) and 30.2° (blue).
It should roughly be correct, alltough I would love to see an official grid.

I hope this will help some people who are creating mods, as most modifications (aside from the TAG mod) just use images that are either from google or created in paint.

for now the grid is not filling a whole 1920x1080 image, but it should be big enouge to controll wether your image is in the right angle or not.!

preview2

And here is an example what can be done with the help of this grid, if you have the talent and experience with tools like photoshop.

2 Likes

Would be much better if you could explain it a bit more Simple English for those who don’t understand modding.

this is not a mod in itself, but a tool or assistance that can be used to create better graphics for mods.
you just download the linked image and put it into a photoshop project, ideal size would be 1920x1080.
The grid has more or less the exact angles as the original graphics, so if you know how to create isometric graphics in Photoshop, you can use it to create your own graphics for mods in the original style, I will update the post as soon as I got some examples to show.

1 Like

I don’t get how this would be a tool or would help at all, I don’t really get what this is…

this is great. thanks for sharing. we definitely noticed that a lot of mods ignore the isometric style of the game so this should help artists to create something that fits the game better.

1 Like

@JustMaffie

take a look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0h6WsHLGnk&t=577s
the grid I created is specific for GDT as it doesn’t seem to use a default grid, or to put it in other words :
the graphics in GDT are displayed in a specific view called “Isometric view” just think of the old Sim City games, which used this point of view for their graphics as well.
The thing I noticed creating my own graphics, was that GDT seems to use a grid with very specific angles that I couldn’t find a template for, so I decided to create my own in order to help people who have some knowledge in image creation with Photoshop or Gimp and don’t want to create such a grid.
It is of course no problem if you don’t know what this is and how it should help anyone, I myself just learned how to create Isometric images a few weeks ago.

@PatrickKlug thanks ^^

1 Like

This is pretty simple.

As somebody who draws platform images by hand, this is a big help. Thanks for this.

Ah, I see you do graphics, maybe you would be available to make the graphics for my new consoles mod?

If so can you PM me?

@JustMaffie

As much as I’d love to help out, I simply don’t have the time at the moment. With school and other things, development for even my own mod has ceased. Best of luck for your mod, though!

Aww that sucks, I guess I’ll have to find someone else, any recommendations?

@JustMaffie

Not that I know of, but there are a few free drawing programs like Paint.NET that can get you started, if you wanted to make some of your own. Even placeholder graphics can go far for roughing out an idea.

Oh trust me, I know enough drawing programs, I could do it in photoshop too, I just can’t draw, even if I’d have to draw uh idk the most basic thing it’d end up looking shit

@JustMaffie

Well good luck in your search, excited to see what will come of it!

Just a simple consoles mod