Idea: Community Expansion Pack DLC

not quite following? what do you mean?

The big problem with today’s best mods is they only work with som previous release of GDT. If you have a community contributed expansion pack, I would hope that if you release it, you assume responsibility for the content and either update it alongside GDT or remove broken content as GDT gets updates.

There was only one update which broke previous mods and that was still while modding was in beta. But I agree that it is a shame when popular mods don’t get updated. That’s one reason why a paid DLC is, I think, more attractive. We could make sure that it’s supported properly.

2 Likes

The thing is, we don’t feel like making MDT into a bigger expansion would really fit. We’re building towards vanilla Game Dev Tycoon at the moment and mods would probably not work apart from if they are added onto a server with a plugin. So, potentially, the answer would be to have a “Community Expansion DLC” server plugin. But how that would be distributed is another question.

On a sidenote though, I don’t exactly see a huge development in this DLC-thing. I completely honestly doubt it will take off, but I would be happily surprised if it did end up developing :slight_smile:

I might consider contributing to this, but this project would need to be managed correctly.
Code reviews, design rules ect… otherwise it’ll become a coding wastedump.

I agree with this. We could get someone experienced or a developer (Like Patrick or you) to overlook the code and see that it follows a set of pre-defined rules.

We will definitely want a few core devs looking over the code and repo in general. Most contributions should come via pull-requests, meaning that they have to go through approval before being integrated.

1 Like

Hey Pat, just a question. Would you be planning on adding more consoles to the expansion? It seems like it would make sense to. The reason I bring this up, is because so many of the mods that add consoles, aren’t on par with the quality of the console images in the base game. It would be really nice to see some high quality images for the platforms in the expansion pack.

That would be entirely up to the modders :slight_smile:

cough cough my mods cough cough

I think that the potential of this idea is enormous and well executed it can be amazing. But like @kristof1104 said, if it isn’t managed well it will turn into a disaster. Might be something I’m willing to come back to modding again :smiley:

3 Likes

@Gamingthrou
Hate to say, but I doubt they would be coming back. I, alike 30-40 other modders on the forum (including Khan, alphabit, and kristof) already had access to the unobfuscated code, so really it’ll be no big change for them.

Sorry, but I just doubt they’ll all be coming back for something they already had access to. Maybe a few, but I don’t think the majority will.

EDIT: Seems that @DzjengisKhan has promised a maybe, but my thoughts still remain the same.

No one forces anyone to come back but just wanted to point out that the current unobfucated code is one giant JS file. not the same as having access to the fully-structured code and the freedom to just change stuff directly.

I suspect it will be the same as early GDT modding. There will be some motivated core modders at the start, and then others will join when they see some progress/direction.

@PatrickKlug I’ll stay faithful with my opinions. :wink: Needless to say, I won’t be joining in. I’ll continue lurking in the backdrops of 11 different forums, reddit, and various other social things. Although I’ll have to agree with you - I must’ve misread, or misunderstood. Nevertheless, I’ll also have to agree with you on your second point - It’ll be a lot more popular down the line than it will be at the beginning. I wish you good luck with this. :smile: :+1:

I moved 10 posts to an existing topic: Any mods that speed up the game, get rid of watching bubbles and all of the pop ups?

I think this is a wonderfull idea, I think other gaming companies should take notes from you guys! :slight_smile:

He probably meant little feedback from reviews etc. although I’m glad you dont use all your time on reimplementing that complex algorithm :slight_smile:

This seems like a very good idea :smile:
I might make a contribution if I have the time and this idea goes to plan :smiley:

Sound Great!
Now I with team and Russian Community develop big mode for this game:)
http://gamersgomakers.ru/topic/99-russianggmmode/#entry416

Hi @PatrickKlug, have you guy’s decided if you are going through with the project yet?