I'd like to help create a game with somebody?

I am a moderate graphic designer, but for some odd reason I cannot learn code. I would like to team up with somebody or a group of people and create a game we can release on Steam to eventually make a profit.

I am open for any ideas, but I’d prefer to make a tycoon or management game. I would be able to market the game as well to help get support for our game.

Try to create smaller projects before jumping the gun. Trust me…

1 Like

Shouldn’t ask here man. You should just partner up with someone from another forum that is full of programmers or ask a friend that is, perhaps, a programmer.

5 Likes

5 likes
what
tell me your secrets
anyways
go on some microsoft forum or something programcon whatever

I’m a C++:er and I’m interested in the same thing, although I have no idea what to make :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to make something get a partner a different way than here and don’t jump the gun make small games first.

Hey Ben

If you are looking to start making games, i suggest starting by making some mods for the games you like.

A lot of these games will also teach you the basics of scripting, which is something everyone working in games should understand.
If you passed year 10 maths, you will pick it up instantly.

Aside from gaining experience in creating a game/mod. you are also creating a PORTFOLIO for yourself which is the single most important thing to have when looking for work or trying to advertise yourself in the entertainment industry.

You will also want to study at a COLLEGE and UNIVERSITY. You don’t technically need to study but, if you want to work for a company or you don’t want to make lots of failed games just for research, then study it is.
A College will teach you what you need to start your own little group or garage studio. If you want to work for a company you will definitely need to go to university. Having that degree is a must almost 100% of the time just to secure a visa. And if you think your getting a job at the local game studio, get in line behind the other 5,000.

If you want to make games for money, then your in the wrong industry.
Games don’t make money.

But if you want to make Games for Fun, then here is some programs that can help get your skills up.

UE4 (Unreal Editor 4) - This is a stand alone game engine that lets you create games on almost all platforms for no initial payment. There is also no monthly fees and the host company Unreal only takes a very small % of any profits that might be made.

Unity - Another stand alone game engine, this one is perhaps better to start with as it is encourages you to start with 2D games and you wont jump the gun and try to make something just coz you have a cool idea. Unity is also very user friendly and has a huge support database to assist new designers.

3DS Max - to make any game your going to need to model characters or at least draw them for 2D games and then animate them. To do that you will need a modeling program like this one or Blender if your looking for something free.

Photoshop - Of Course you need this, Paint might work for some 2D games but if you want to do anything with more than 3 colours or shapes, i would strongly suggest getting photoshop as its not that expensive and is industry standard.

1 Like

Come on, MS Paint isn’t THAT bad…

…okay, it is.

It gave birth to Photoshop and Gimp. Just like DOS gave birth to Windows :wink:

Excuse me? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not to be offensive or anything but the only people who think games are a good source of income are those who either

1. don’t understand what a game is or needs
  2. have no idea how to make a game, but think they do
  3. See a 1 hit wonder make someone rich and think it happens to everyone
  4. Spend all there money on games because they don’t know what to do in life or have no job

I say games don’t make money because generally most people forget about the costs of living. (if you still live at home that is understandable)
A game takes between 1-4 years to make, longer if you want it to be better.
Each staff member cost from $25k - 80k per year (more if they are really good)
Each staff member is going to need hardware/software to work on. this ranges from $5k - $50k (most licences are per year)
Depending on the Engine you use you need to pay a % of all sales
If you are going to use Steam or anything like that then more % from sales is taken
You have the rent of your building to consider, even if you own the place it has repairs and utilities.

Anyway im sure you get the point.
Games don’t make money because of the cost associated with them verses the low expectation of profits.
This is how the entire Art and Entertainment industry works.
If you want money become a plumber, people always need water.

1 Like

Just because it cost a lot to make a game, doesn’t mean you don’t make a profit. The gaming industry wouldn’t be bigger than the movie and music industry if that weren’t true.

I think we all understand that games cost a lot of money. When did I say they didn’t? What I am saying is the average AAA game usually makes a profit. I’m not talking about indies, I’m talking about AAA games. Indies are a whole different thing.

The average game developer makes around $50,000-$100,000 annually. Don’t say you cannot make living off game developing because you certainly can. It’s not super-easy, but the opportunity is there. Do not treat me as if I “don’t understand game development.”

1 Like

Even if your counting gambling (which nobody does) the gaming industry is smaller than both the music and movie industry. There are even countries that outlawed games for a time (China)

Yes the average AAA game does normally make a profit, a lot of people lose their jobs when games don’t make enough profit. In saying that tho, many AAA studios have shut down in recent years because they didn’t make enough profit. Because of this Australia no longer has any AAA studios.

I’m sorry but i think you mean the average person working in a AAA company.
These surveys are never accurate and don’t include anyone outside AAA companies because they are unable to include them all.
Im sure if you read the fine print it would tell you all this. Because its likely that it doesn’t even include all the AAA companies, only those who have been nice enough to submit a report to them. (in other words japan is out)

You will never understand it if you always think you understand it.

This is an industry where you must never stop learning or studying, nobody understands the industry, some people just understand it better than others.

That’s true, but Black Ops 2 for the pc costs 60$ for a game that was made 3 years ago. Black Ops 2 costs the same as Black Ops 3, and these 2 are the same game with just some reskins and a jetpack. This proves that Activision has totally no marketing skills.

Did you miss the part where I said I was only talking about AAA specifically?

Where do you get this information? I can provide you with multiple sources to backup my claims that the gaming industry is bigger than the movie and music industry:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4 (more sources within that)
Source 5
I could go on.

Again, where are you getting this information? Please, for future reference, support your claims with evidence.

I know I can:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
These all support my claim about a AAA developer’s salary. The survey even did a report on indie game developers, though not as in-depth as the salaried game developers report.

So far you have continued to make various claims, none of which you can support. I am open to accept your argument but only if you can actually provide a logical reason why I should. I am not trying to be stubborn, I am just logically basing my opinion on the stats and the facts.

I’m sorry, but I am confused as to what point are you trying to make… Are you saying that AAA companies aren’t, majority wise, successful? If so, you just contradicted yourself.
Are you saying that not all companies succeed and there are repercussions from that? Well, yeah, but that goes for every industry.

Umm… If companies make a profit a majority of the time, which you just admitted to, than, ultimately, what is the problem here? Yes, people losing their jobs sucks, and I am not trying to sound heartless, I am just trying to stay relevant to our discussion. What does people losing their jobs have to do with the AAA game success rate?

Please clarify.

That statement makes no sense. If that is true, then that means you don’t understand it either. Stop trying to sound pretentious. Yes, the industry is somewhat always changing. But relatively speaking, there are people out there who understand game development.

If I am coming off as being rude, I promise you I am not trying to.

Firstly i never said i understood the game industry and i would never claim to. But i do understand it better than a lot of other people, so i like to try and point people in the right direction as i was pointed.

These websites talk almost exclusively about hollywood. (so i presume your American). Anyway the problem there is that like gaming, it doesn’t revolve around just 1 area and you cant get information about just 1 area. If you see something in the media don’t think it 100% true and especially don’t think it is for everywhere. Being so gullible is what lead to people thinking “God” is talking to them just because some guy in a rob says so. I could go on about this but these topics are getting further away from the OP and my OR so i will just say this.

Most games these days have good music and good cinematics. Without these a game would not be very interesting and without a thriving music and movie industry neither would those things exist.
You can count how big something is by how much $ it makes, or you can count it by how many/often people enjoy it, use it, etc.
Until people are playing Games more than they watch TV or listen to music, it will never be really considered as the “bigger” industry. Only ever the richer or more “successful”

I was well aware that you were only talking about AAA games, but i’m not writing to you alone, no offence but thats a waste of time :wink:. I am writing so that anyone who happens to search the same question as the OP has lots of helpful information on Google.

What makes a guy, who doesn’t backup his claims, more experienced with game development? What have you done to further your experience compared to most others? Not trying to be passive-aggressive, but I am just genuinely curious.

No, they don’t. Clearly, you didn’t look at all of them. There are ones from Forbes and Bloomberg Business, which are both certainly respected and you cannot call them unreliable.

When numerous websites (I say, “numerous” because I didn’t list all of them) all say generally the same thing, you can certainly consider the information reliable. Especially from respected websites like Forbes and Bloomberg Business.

That is certainly debatable. A lot of gamers prefer gameplay over cinematics, etc. They want to feel like they are actually controlling it. Some people don’t like the Q-T-E crap.

Oh my goodness… I can’t… Where are you getting your information? Yet again, you make a bold claim without any evidence whatsoever. Did you know more than 1.2 billion people play video games worldwide as of 2013 (yes, a little old, but still reliable)? I am not saying you’re right or wrong about the amount of people who watch TV/Movies vs. Video games, but you cannot just say stuff like that and not back it up if you want people to agree with you.

Also, you can’t say it’s not “considered bigger” when most people DO consider it “bigger.” Hence, all the articles I gave you.

Trust me, if you don’t, and I will say it again, backup your claims, your information will be discarded. Go ahead and quote all the times I have said “backup claims.” Clearly, it is needed for you to understand my annoyance. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

grabs popcorn
This is going to be good.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what happen? tl:dr?

1 Like

Speaking for myself (I live in Australia) the main reason was actually operating costs, not profit loss.