How to enable and disable research (Read for better explanation)

I couldn’t really think of a good title for this but, in the regular Game Dev Tycoon without mods, with only a few research items with AI being one of them, if you research something and put it in your ‘Custom Game Engine’, then make a game and enable the research, the previous/lower grade research gets disabled.

Here is an example: I think ‘Better AI’ and say… ‘Realistic AI’. So, you research ‘Better AI’ and "Realistic AI’ and put the two in a ‘Custom Game Engine’. When you make a game and get to the AI part of making a game, there are options there for ‘Better AI’ and "Realistic AI’. You enable ‘Better AI’ and then you enable ‘Realistic AI’. When ‘Realistic AI’ is enabled, ‘Better AI’ gets disabled.

This is what I want to do in a mod I am making with the gdt-API, NOT UltimateLib. But does anyone know how to do this? If no one really does, I will consult the “Advanced Modders.” Also, if I need to clarify what I mean with this question, please let me know and I will try to explain some more so you can understand the situation I am in here…

2 Likes

:thumbsup:

You would have to read the source code for the game creation menu. There is no normal answer to this, it is a task you would need some research to figure out.

I just skimmed the Source Code and couldn’t find the function for this. I will look tomorrow as I do not feel like looking through thousands of lines of un-commented code.

You would need to create your own function. HIjack the method and do your changes and then call the normal handler.

Sorry for a little bump. You can do that. Already tested after checking game source

Really? How do you do it? I haven’t modded, played, or been active in the Game Dev Tycon for a while, but I would still like to know this.