Forum Development?

I was wondering if this forum was going to be frequently updated and improved. as their are some little things that I think will make this community even better. Of coarse you don’t have to listen to my opinions but I thought I would give you some of my ideas anyway.

First idea more categories to post threads in (for example, Support, Tips, General discussion, Off-topic etc…) . I think this would make the forum less intimating (especially if it is the first thing users see) and make topics easier to find therefor easier for people to help. when I first saw this forum my first thoughts were “aaah threads everywhere!!!”

Edit: If people want more categories suggest them in Category definition for orders

Second idea, Ranking, this could be based on amount of posts, replies or another system. It would mean forums could be easily moderated by community mods, and readers would be able to find out what advice is from experienced members. also it could make people who disobey rules easier to be banned.

These are a couple of ideas I’m sure you reading this have more. Feel free to post them below, and I will post more of my ideas when they come to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

• Aaron1088

The first idea I don’t quite understand, and the second I think would be an excellent idea.

Editing it now to make more sense.

This already exists:

• click the heart :heart: button at the bottom of the post to like it and indicate it’s worth reading by others.

• click the flag :triangular_flag_on_post: button at the bottom of the post to indicate there’s a problem with the post. (You can only flag once you’ve read 5 topics and 50 replies, your account is still too new to flag, that is why your username is grey.)

• on long topics, there is a Show Best Of option at the top of the topic, so you can filter from ~300 replies to the ~30 best replies. (To get to the top, click the topic title, or click the up arrow on the progress bar.)

I suggest browsing around a bit more to become familiar with what is already here, before proposing a bunch of changes that are already present. Experience matters…

Also @PatrickKlug we probably want a meta category for these kinds of topics.

3 Likes

created the category. thanks.

1 Like

He means things like showing the post count by people’s name and being rewarded user titles if they reach a certain post count.

1 Like

There is a trust level, it is visible on your user profile. You can read about the trust levels and how they work here:

3 Likes

Useful, thank you very much. It would be a little bit more useful if it was by the actual name though. But oh well, at least something is actually there.

1 Like

out of curiosity was this forum developed in-house or which engine you guys are using?

It’s Discourse which is being developed by @codinghorror (which is why he knows so much about it).

1 Like

I love it!!! Can it be integrated into Wordpress?

I moved a post to a new topic: Question about French translation

[quote=“badr, post:11, topic:1173, full:true”]
I love it!!! Can it be integrated into Wordpress?
[/quote]Yup, see wp-discourse