Damnit Valve... (please read)

So, as Valve made another ‘give us moar money update’. In some games, mod makers can charge people before subscribing to mods. Do you think Greenheart should do this? I do not. Therefore, I am against

*People making mods using UME which doesn’t work (as I am concerned)
*It may not work out well, like extreme prices for a UME mod everyone can make.
*Mods’ files are public. Therefore, one can share a mod’s files to another via a download link.
*People may try to ‘scam’ and will not end up well. Lots of refund requests are expected to arise here.
*The base game is sold for 10 euros. (There are people who will sell a topic mod for 2 euros, I’m sure)

I don’t know, I think big games with huge communities should do that. The fact that anyone can make a mod with UME/little JS knowledge and a little time won’t be worth the penny they will pay. I don’t really know if devs will receive money for the mods in the future, but that’s still a big risk with bad consequences. Let me hear your opinions!

6 Likes

I like your thoughts on this, it sounds really absurd that Valve would implement this feature for smaller indie games, like Game Dev Tycoon, especially with the fact that GDT mods can be made with such little knowledge.

Valve what are you doing.

4 Likes

No, just please no Valve. I mean: Most of the mods are made with free mod-maker-program or script knowledge (you can learn scripting for free on the internet). The whole Community is going to protest. The WHOLE.

Yeah, because I don’t have anything to spend my money on.
Great.
I think that some modders may be happy, but…
no it just suks.

I agree with Fire.

Gaben, your drunk. go home

2 Likes

Some huge revolutionary mods should cost, but the minmal should be 20 cents. What if the developer wasn’t so skilled as it seemed and never updated his mods if he priced them 1 euro? Why? Valve now makes money, not Half Life 3.

@FireChaos I agree. It sucks.

At everyone: Don’t be like this meme.

1 Like

At the end of the day, I don’t think this’ll have a huge impact on indie games, such as Game Dev Tycoon.

You’re all making it seem like from this point forward, all mods have to be bought (at least, that’s what I’m making out from your comments). However, the mod publisher himself has the option to charge people, not the obligation. Moreover, every rational human being can see that charging for a mod in small communities, such as this, is pretty much useless, as the amount of people actually willing to pay for a mod is, well, pretty minimal, based on previous comments. Therefore, it seems unlikely to me that there will be more than a hand full of mods that will charge you for using it.

Simple supply and demand, folks.

To me personally, it seems like a great thing to implement. Authors of huge modifications for big, renown games will get the ability to be rewarded in a form of payment, rather than just the recognition, which may be a stimulant for other authors to create top-notch modifications too. Only problem I see with this is that there is a risk of it becoming a simple attempt at money-grabbing by many, which is inevitable.However, according to the article, there’s a 24-hour window of getting a refund, which may cause this to not become a problem at all.

1 Like

Pff… https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop
I don’t think it’s gonna change something…

yeah, the problem is with modders/people. It can go out of control, that’s what I said. Of course, modders have the option to do this but some will go overcharging people for small things.

Yes, but then again, people will not pay for the mod if they feel it’s cost is too much, and the mod publisher will see that he is in fact overcharging. If the modification has been bought, however, and you feel you’ve been overcharged for something and would rather have your money back than continue using the modification, this is possible within a 24-hour window.

It comes down to your own rational behavior in the end. Would you really want to pay a few cents/euros (or whatever your local currency may be) for a boatload of extra topics added to the game, for example? I know I wouldn’t. Nobody is obligating you to do so.

What I’m trying to say is: mod publishers, who require you to pay, will realise that they’re overcharging once it comes around to bite them in the… well you know the saying, and adjust their pricing, or even remove it.

I don’t think this’ll be a huge issue, however. If you look at, for example, people who are creating games, they tend to publish it for free to get as many people playing it as possible, rather than putting a price tag on it. I believe this’ll be the same for the majority of mods going up on the Workshop.

now people will pirate steam workshop mods
dafaq valve

2 Likes

The developers themself have the option to enable this or not for the Steam Workshop, meaning if Greenheart Games does not want to have any paid mods on the workshop then they can have that. There’s also a Pay What You Want option for the mods, which is good, because you can choose your own price depending on what it’s worth. I believe there’s a minimum, but I don’t know the specific amount.

I think that if there’s a great quality mod that someone has spent hundreds of hours on making, then this specific author deserves to have the option to charge for it. The only reason why people are saying that you shouldn’t have to pay for mods is because you never had to, and it’s normal to have free mods. Obviously, with high quality mods this is BS since the developers do deserve some money for it.

Most importantly, the only reason why mods were free is because the mod developers did not have the right to sell them in the first place, since it would put them on dodgy legal territory with copyright laws and all. I think that at least giving the developers of the mod some money is great, but that should only be with high quality mod and a price that is probably a maximum of 5 dollars depending on what scope the mod is.

The most greedy thing is that Steam takes 75% of your payment, and only 25% goes to the developer of the mod itself, which is absolutely stupid.

2 Likes

Maybe they will make Half-Life 3 out of this :smiley:

no…?

oh well…

2 Likes