Changes to our Modding Agreement

Originally published at: http://www.greenheartgames.com/2014/01/31/changes-modding-agreement/

Since we opened up Game Dev Tycoon for modders through our modding API we have seen a great deal of interest and activity. We are going to talk more about exciting developments in the modding scene soon but today I just want to announce a small change to our Modding Agreement.

The previous agreement prevented any monetary gain from mods outright unless a modder had prior consent in writing. The same clause is still intact today but we have added the following clause to expressly allow modders to receive donations or use ads on their websites subject to the following rules:

Other Monetary Benefits and Donations

Usage of advertisements, other revenue-generating elements and donations are subject to the following rules:

(a) you may not add advertisements, other revenue-generating elements or call for donations inside the mod or game itself;
(b) advertisements or other revenue-generating elements, may only be facilitated on your own website and must not be used in mod listings;
© you may ask for donations on your website or in mod listings but such requests must follow after the mod description, title or download link and must not obscure these elements or be visually intrusive to users.
(d) the mod must be available as a free download and must not be gated behind forced advertisements or other revenue-generating elements;
(e) the download link to a mod must remain clearly identifiable and must not be obscured by advertisements;
(f) you may ask for optional donations but donations must not give exclusive benefits. Everyone should have access to the same mod;
(g) installation of mods must be free from advertisements or other revenue-generating elements;
(h) the mod or the mod-installer may not add or install other third party elements, such as toolbars, system utilities or anything not related to the game itself;

What this Means: You can help offset the cost of hosting your website and development of a mod by using ads on your website and/or asking for donations from players. You may not ask for donations within the game or use revenue-generating elements in a way that lessens the user experience or withholds the mod or specific features from players.

We think this will ensure that players have a good experience while also allowing modders to accept donations.

This new agreement is effective immediately. You can read the full agreement here.

Both our Modding Agreement and EULA are published under a CC Attribution-ShareAlike license so if you are a software developer you can adapt these documents for your own needs.

4 Likes

Nice work on the new agreement, guys! I think this will make it a lot easier for people to self-host mods.

One thing I’d like to point out though is that it doesn’t say anything about withholding certain mods from people who haven’t donated, or at least haven’t donated enough. I think that ought to be fixed. That’s the only gripe I have. :slight_smile:

this is covered in (d) and (f)

(d) the mod must be available as a free download and must not be gated behind forced advertisements or other revenue-generating elements;
(f) you may ask for optional donations but donations must not give exclusive benefits. Everyone should have access to the same mod;

I don’t see why they would need donations, unless they are running a community for different games.