Building my own PC

Looks nice.
No idea about compatibility, or better parts (okay, you can just get the titan).
I am sure it will be able to run FullHD, but 60 FPS?
I mean, it still would be AT LEAST 30, so it’s good.
Would buy.
If could.
And will not.
You made me jealous.

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/processors/core/core-i7-processor.html

My friend recently got a new computer. Quad-core, gaming, tv-screen,
#5 TERABYTES
, red glow, etc.

##APPARENTLY, it cost $1000.

TERRA?
Is it better than tera :open_mouth: ?

Why would someone need 5000GBs
Except for many people who need it

I have 500GB and I’m fine…

That build looks fine, you can bump the 290 up to a 290x if you’d like. I have a build with a 4440 and it’s plenty enough. Same motherboard too.

If you are a student at a school, you can go to dreamspark and sign up for that and get a free Windows 8.1 key.

Thing is, I don’t know if that’s worth $800… I mean how good is that computer really for that price?

A minimal gaming rig (run anything out today at med-high settings at 30+FPS 95% of the time) should run you about $400-$500. That’ll be a lot better than whatever you could get for $300. But every hundred dollars more you spend is going to get you less and less of a performance increase. I’d suggest getting the cheapest parts that meet your requirements or perhaps just a little bit better. For example, if you never actually run 8 processor intensive threads at once, you might not need a quad core i5. The current gen of haswells are all built on the same architecture, the difference between models with the same clock speed is multithreading capabilities. Check out this comparison, all processor less than 2 years old, should have roughly the same performance per thread:

Now I can see that Celeron is worse than I thought.
But the only difference were cores (4 or 2), threads and cache.
That’s weird.

a 4440 and a 290 is a great deal. You could switch the 290 out for a 970 though. But for $800 with the OS and all is really a good deal. You’re looking at 60 fps/1080p/max settings on every game. Even 1440p/60fps/max settings on some games.

Yeah, with CPU’s and GPU’s, they use a thing called “binning”, where they build all CPU’s as one, and then see if all the cores, and or threads work. If it has 4 cores, but doesn’t work well with hyperthreading, then they turn it off and call it an i5, if hyperthreading works with 4 cores, then its a i7, if hyperthreading works, but is unstable on 4 cores, then they shut down two cores and call it an i3. Then you have the Pentium and Celeron which are pretty much exactly the same. But the Pentium has a CPU which everyone calls “Pentium K” which allows you to overclock it to insane amounts.

1 Like

lol wat r u takling abuot?

Yeah…

I see what you did there.

2 Likes

What are you talking about? Sorry, but I am lost. :stuck_out_tongue:

970? Meaning the GTX 970? 4400? Meaning the processor? 290? Now I am just lost there… Please, explain yourself.

Yeah, 970 is GTX 970, 290 is that Radeon R9 290 and 4440 is some i5 (I think)

Afaik, binning refers mostly to the practice of determining maximum stable frequency. There are physical difference between the chipsets in pentiums, i3s and i5s. The pricier options literally do have more cores on-die. And the packaged graphics controller is entirely different between families. This explains why several frequencies of the same CPU are released simultaneously, but it might be a year between a new tech coming out in 4core vs 2core. This image helps explain the packaging: http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Haswell-Microarchitecture-Die.png

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right, it comes down to stable frequency too. If an i5 can’t handle say 3.5ghz, they lock it to 3.2ghz and call it a 4440 (or 4460 if it’s a haswell refresh)

@chizbejoe Yes, what Haxor said

970 = GTX 970
290 = R9 290
4440 = i5 4440
My bad, I thought you knew that haha.

1 Like

Who needs that much data? Only Steve Jobs needed that.