Apply for translator moderation permission

Hello,

I am working on the Dutch translation and have translated now near 300 messages. This means I did approximately 90% of the work done so far. However, not a single translation has been approved yet by a moderator… It seems I am the only active translator.

Therefore I would like to apply for moderation permissions. I am well experienced, my most visible work is that I made a Dutch language mod for Galactic Civilizations 2:

http://library.galciv2.com/index.aspx?m=830

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to complete it, because the moderators on the Galciv2 website stopped approving new mods. There is a newer version still in the queue there that they still haven’t approved after a few years… Compared to Galciv2, Game Dev Tycoon has a relatively small amount of text that needs translation, so I think there is a good chance of completing it, and with over 20% translated there is good progress.

Hey dmantione, I have left Patrick a message to review this case. Many thanks for your time and effort :green_heart:

The best place to talk about the Dutch translation is the Dutch translation topic here:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/dutch-translation/74

@Lewis_McReu was elected moderator. Have you tried contacting him? If the current moderators are inactive then I’d be happy to make you a moderator to carry this forward.

Hey @dmantione,

First, I’d like to apologize for my seemingly inactivity. Fact is though, I go daily over every suggestion, and try to discuss them with Henry, the other mod.
I haven’t heard a lot from him lately though.

Second, also I would like to thank you for your efforts. You make a lot of suggestions :smile: !
I am still in the process of reading them all, but I did notice some errors. If you redirect yourself to the Dutch Translation topic mentioned above, you’ll find there a couple of guidelines for the translators. Unfornately, I wasn’t able to discuss them fully with @Henry, but I think they are reasonable and good. If you have any suggestions for them, or in case you get promoted to moderator, I’ll be glad to discuss the guidelines in more detail with you.

Greetings,
Lewis

Ah great :smile:

I just translated another set of messages, we are now over halfway!

I’m not worrying too much about errors right now, while I’m a pretty good speller, it’s unavoidable to make some errors due to the amount of text. I’ve also corrected some existing by submitting corrected suggestions. However… my experience with these kind of projects is that most work is not the batch translation of the messages, but playtesting the translated game. While playtesting you will encounter that messages don’t fit in the available space, the game logic prevents you to write gramitically correct, the context is different than you did expect, more issues. Those are usually most work to get right.

While this will still be an issue we have just spent a few days optimizing the UI a bit better to either auto-scroll long text or resize to fit. It’s not perfect yet but at least the story window should work much better in the upcoming versions.

Feel free to finish it… I added what I could but am unable to put a lot of time into it as of late due to personal projects and my family life… also, working 60+ hours a week doesn’t help either.

Hmm… I just read the other forum thread and seeing as I’ve been assigned as a moderator, I’ll do my best to put some effort into it this week… can’t leave you guys hanging and quit on something I’ve started… I was planning on throttling back @ work anyway… I’ve been too stressed out lately… maybe doing to translation reviewing is going to help me calm my nerves :smile:

@dmantione Hey, are you still active and willing to participate? Let me know and we will get you upgraded to moderator.