A little interview for a little magazine?

I’m Lucas 19 years old and I’m french so I apologize for my english.

I’ve discovered Game Dev Tycoon few days ago with the demo I loved it and i’m gonna buy it.
On a forum (about Littlebigplanet) we are publishing a magazine every month about Littlebigplanet, movies, etc, and I’m in charge of reviews on indy games.
So this month I’ll write about Game Dev Tycoon and I would like to know if I could ask Greanheart developpers a few questions as an interview.

We don’t earn any money with our magazine we do it for free and for pleasure. Sure it’s in french but there’s a link to the december edition if you wanna check it out: http://issuu.com/lbglucalecalu/docs/lbg_18?e=11420426/10557893

So if you could answer those few questions I would appreciate:

1: Was Game Dev Tycoon you’re first idea when you wanted to create a game?

2: Was there a part of the development that caused you some issues? If so, which part?

3: When launching the game you have provided a pirated version in which players go bankrupt because of piracy to raise them awareness on this subject. Was this test successful ?

4: What are you’re favorite games? Which games inspired you for GDT?

5: Are you working on a new game? If so, can you talk about it?

That’s all at the moment but I may add new questions next days. I apologize again for my english.

Hope you’ll answer this little interview. Once the magazine is ready I’ll add 2 links here: One to the whole french magazine and another to the english translated article about GDT so you can read it. Hope you’ll enjoy it.

Thanks for reading this. Cheers

@PatrickKlug

1 Like

I can’t recall. At the time Minecraft was starting to become really big and Terraria was on the horizon so a lot of game ideas revolved around resource collection and crafting games. I remember discussing a colony simulation but in the end we decided to start with something simpler. I played Game Dev Story a month or so earlier and really liked some aspects of that game, while at the same time wanting quite a different experience from it. The idea quickly grew from there and a month or so later we had our first (round-based) game prototype.

Our initial contractors who were in charge of the graphics and animations were an absolute disaster. To this date it was the worst work experience I ever had. It took significant energy to keep going but once we switched to different contractors everything went much more smoothly.

We didn’t plan this as a publicity stunt and were utterly surprised by both the initial results (we expected far less piracy) and the viral spread of the story.

Please see our about page for some favorites. GDT was inspired by many different business simulation games. Obviously Game Dev Story was an inspiration but it wasn’t the only one.

Yes, we are working on a new game but we are not ready to talk about it in detail yet.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your answers, we really apprecieate that. I may post other questions in the next days but nothing is sure. As I said I’ll post a link to the article once it’s ready :wink:
If you would like to say something else which you think could be interesting too for the interview don’t hesitate.

Thank you again and I wish you the best for your games.

I’m a little busy in the next couple of days but hope the above helps you a little with the article.

Ok no problem. Yes it’s very helpfull thank you again this is the first time we interviewed a game developper we are very excited.

There’s the article in english ! :slight_smile: Sorry for my mistakes: http://issuu.com/speedaft/docs/eng

And there’s the full french gazette: http://issuu.com/lbglucalecalu/docs/lbg_20/61?e=11420426/11225160

Big thanks to Greenheart and especially @PatrickKlug and @Charlie

2 Likes

Holy mother it looks gorgeus

2 Likes