[0.1] [Tools] Beam Mod Maker

oh, thanks
brb I’ll see if this works

If you aren’t already, be sure to be running it inside the codebase.

To compile, I suggest using G++ or whatever that clone on Windows is called.

gcc?

GCC is a C compiler. (But if you are referring to the toolchain itself, yes)

cough
Sorry, all these dusty
#Antiques
Are making me cough

You should make detailed individual text tutorials for each platformso people like me can understand. Also will you still have to compile in the final version?

I’m not going to explain how to compile on Shitdows, it is way too complicated for it’s own good. I’m not just saying this because I’m against Windows, it’s so hard to use open-source development tools on Windows it’s actually weird how they managed to get such a big userbase. Probably the evil circle, but still. On Linux you do three commands and you’re done with installing. This is it;

“pacman -S cmake”
“pacman -S make”
“pacman -S pkgconfig”

On Windows…

Navigate to qt.io
Go through the lengthy wizard
Choose a few specific packages to install, very important to not press the wrong button
Download CMake
Install CMake using the "installer"
Download MingW
Install MingW
Fuck up on installing and using MingW because you installed the wrong package in their shitty packaging system
Reinstall Mingw
Repeat

Well Linux isn’t for everyone. I tried it before and I really preferred Windows. I didn’t really like Linux. Most of the people that are going to use BMM will be using Windows so I think it is best that you do give a tutorial on how yo start up the program or better make it so it doesn’t need compiling.

Why did you even try Linux?

I was using it to hack you.

PAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD XD XD

But seriously, why did you even try Linux?

I was not trying to hack someone.

To appease Stian.

So @Stian will you have to compile in the final release?

I will try to compile, but I’m not going to give a guide on how to compile for Shitdows. It doesn’t work.

That joke is old, it’s not even funny and it’s starting to get annoying.

? I have no recollection of having ever seen that being used before. Although, admit it, you are a self-identified linux fanboy, and it’s starting to get annoying how you keep assaulting other OS’s and being an ubuntu user with superiority complex. I am starting to get bored of that as well. Anyways, sorry for derailing the already derailed railchamber. Go on…

Fuck no. If you don’t like me saying that compiling on Windows is hard, then do it yourself. Microsoft have made a shitty, closed-source OS with the ease of use of a NASA command module.

Ubuntu is incredibly shit, and it’s no wonder Windows users get a bad impression of Linux when they start with Shitbuntu. Yes, I hate Ubuntu on an equal level to Windows. They have advertisement in the desktop environment by default! That’s just as bad as Microsoft’s spying.

If you want to try Linux, try Manjaro. It’s easy to use, no spying and rolling release (aka. you never have to reinstall). You can choose between a plethora of desktop environments, and I would heavily suggest you go for XFCE. It’s very light on the resources and is very customizable. I actually use XFCE on all my computers. It’s very easy to understand. Don’t like the styling? Go into the settings manager, click “Appearance” and then choose what theme you like. Want a Windows 10 theme? Search the AUR! (Arch Linux User Repository) Just go into the graphical package manager, check “Search in the AUR” and type “windows10” and voila!

Have I mentioned that you can install it beside Windows? I actually dualboot on my main computer. Why? Because I’m trying to compile for Windows, which is incredibly hard. Oh, and you know what else you can do on Manjaro? Install the latest NVIDIA drivers with one click. It has a massive forum where you can ask questions, and I believe also an IRC channel for “live support”.

That post was longer than I had planned. Well, whatever. If you want to try the mod maker now, boot up a virtual machine with Manjaro in it and install cmake and make through the package manager. It might even be preinstalled, I don’t remember. Then just download the source and compile it using two commands; “cmake” and “make” :smile:

(On a sidenote: do you prefer Chrome? No problem, you can install Google Chrome through the graphical package manager too! It’s in the AUR)

I don’t really know a bunch of computer stuff, so excuse moi for this ignorance of mine. I really don’t know what the differences between linux, ubuntu, unix or whatever. I’m terrible at computers.

That’s fine. I’ll have a go at explaining it:

Unix is an architecture. It’s basically how the operating works. Mac is based of the original Unix, which was an operating system itself. However, Linux is Unix-like. That means that Linux works like a Unix system, but it doesn’t share a codebase with the actual Unix.

Ubuntu is a distro of Linux. Linux is just a kernel, so alone it’s completely useless. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system). There’s a lot of Linux distros, and some are made for beginners and some are made for more experienced users. A distro is basically just an operating system with the Linux kernel. When we talk about Linux, we often don’t talk about the kernel but the Linux distros.

Why is Linux objectively better than Windows? It’s not just fanboying, (although a bit) but there are a few reasons. Linux is open-source, so anyone can fix security issues. Linux doesn’t have a reason to leave security holes like Windows does, so therefore it is objectively more secure than Windows. It’s also incredibly customizable, not just the wallpaper like in Windows. You can change everything, in a literal sense. It has a huge ecosystem of applications, and actually a lot more applications than on Windows. You might think “oh, but this one application doesn’t work on Linux”. Have you looked for alternatives? Have you looked into Wine?