[Win] Game doesn't load - white screen

@Jamdude1 you can find your network settings in the following way: open cmd.exe; run ipconfig /all

btw, when you see the game stalling in white screen, are you able to switch to task manager and see how many processes from gamedevtycoon.exe (or nw.exe) are in the system?

Here are my internet settings:

There are two GameDevTycoon processes in the task manager after I’ve launched the game and the white screen comes up. I am able to end one of the processes but not the other.

I haven’t experienced it myself, but someone who used my Arch package reported seeing it, and setting NO_PROXY seemed to mitigate the problem for him. At least for a while. See the comments at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/game-dev-tycoon/?comments=all#news

All I do now to play the game is disable my internet, launch the game, and turn my internet back on. It works perfectly apart from the internet needs to be disabled upon startup.

I have a similar problem. On start up, the screen will stay black, however i am still able to hear the music as if it was working properly. I’ve tried running it in different compatibility modes as well as administrative mode in all the capabilities. None of them make it work. Disabling my internet does nothing. The only time I have made it work was when i changed the color to 256 colors in the properties. However, It did not look all too good in that mode.

@austinwade912 can you give us more info on your machine?

I have tried disabling my internet - it does nothing. I’ve tried everything I can think of and nothing helps. If we can’t get a fix, can we get a refund?

if the game doesn’t work and you haven’t played it on a different machine then you can of course get a refund. just contact support@greenheartgames.com, quote your order number and provide a reason for the refund request.

Refunding an order does cost us processing fees, so please only request if you know that you won’t try to play again.

I was having the same issue, but I found another workaround that hasn’t been mentioned. I tried the ones mentioned above, including running in compatibility mode and as administrator, and viewing any error logs.

Things didn’t get better until I disabled my internet connection, where I still had a white screen but this time the music started and I also only had one process in task manager, which could be ended, rather than two processes where one can’t be ended. Progress.

I then went further and disabled my anti-virus, with the internet still disabled. For reference, by disabled I mean I only disconnected from my home wifi. I didn’t disable or uninstall any devices. As for disabling my anti-virus: I just ended the program.

Now, when I run the game: it opens up and works fine. I assume that the reason it’s been having issues is that my anti-virus has been stopping the communication somehow… and actually this isn’t the first game I’ve had issues with, the last (but only other) one being Saint’s Row 3.

My anti-virus is Trend Micro Titanium. Maybe others having issues have the same anti-virus?

1 Like

I use Virgin Media’s anti virus which is Trent Micro. I find it easy enough to disable the internet, launch the game and then enable it again. It works fine after that, the internet only has to be disable on launch of the game.

1 Like

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us

To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Reboot the computer.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919746/en-us
ipconfig /flushdns

I receive this white screen every time I run the game after it has been closed. All I do is close it via Task Manager when the screen turns white and open the game again, works like a charm on the second attempt.

Didn’t work for me…

When I get support emails for the White Screen issue my advice is always;

It has been reported that several Antivirus programs can block Game Dev Tycoon from running, please try disabling your AV or adding Game Dev Tycoon to your exception list.

Please make sure you are running Game Dev Tycoon as admin.
And lastly please try disabling your internet and then running the game.

No one has ever written back on said this doesnt work.

I don’t think anyone has the white screen problem anymore. If you’d done everything that the customer support had advised in that paragraph then you wouldn’t get a white screen.

Hi Guys, I solved this problem like this:
first go properties then properties and use " execute with 256 colours " and ok. Then go to in game options and toggle the fullscreen off.And close the game,in properties and dont use 256 colours.When I made this it worked . I wish this will help you guys too .

i have tried everything everybody has put up here, no internet, change anti virus, the change to 256 colors closing and reopening, nothing is working, i bought the game over a month a go and i still havent got to play.

Hey,

Sorry to hear that, the white screen is a symptom of something, often a security measure, blocking the game from running.

Can you list all of your “always on” running programs. Many AV dont like to be turned off and make it as hard and complicated as possible to do so. Which AV brand are you using?

Also please state what level your UAC is set too, if you’re using Windows 8 then please disable the “smart” screen.
and do you have full administrator rites to your pc or is it maintained by a school? also please add Game Dev Tycoon to your firewalls exception list.

Let me know and i will endeavour to help.

i use kaspersky but it is out of date… and i have all the rights to the computer it is mine, and ihave windows 7

Same with me. I’ve tried everything listed by support but it still doesn’t work. Also, when I tried to launch the game after installing the newest update I got an error message that said:

Unable to execute file
C:\Program Files\ (x86)\ Game Dev Tycoon\GameDevTycoon.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.
The requested operation requires elevation

I don’t know if this helps at all