OS's and Upgrades Chit Chat Thread

@MrRain dat windows classic brick style
i prefer the original windows xp style silver

2 Likes

Haha. XD

1 Like

I have my pc on performance because I play games lol! Anything for an extra 5 fps.

2 Likes

oh gawd.

1 Like

I remember those days! :smile:

3 Likes

Haha yeah. I have to continue doing so until I get my new PC which hopefully will be within a month’s time or so…

1 Like

Is it going to be windows XP?

No it won’t be.
XP will only read 2 GB of RAM which is hardly enough to run games.
Also, since I’m learning IT, I have to keep up with the newer OS’s n such…
I’ll still be using this older laptop for other tasks and possibly to learn Linux.

1 Like

From my experience IT people like to stick with old OSes :stuck_out_tongue: They will keep using W7 after the release of W9, so you shouldn’t worry too much about staying up to date all the time if you aren’t comfortable with the latest edition of Windows, although XP is dead and outdated now so upgrading that will be a good thing.

Edit: Seems like we went a bit off-topic, I just read the name of the thread… xD

2 Likes

Right. I just don’t want to upgrade the laptop at this time when I’m gonna get a brand new one pretty soon.
I have tried 8, it’s alright I do like seeing the speed bar thing whenever you transfer items from USB and I think from downloads as well…
We IT guys like using stuff that works, not necessarily stuff that’s brand new… But since we’re being called to troubleshoot stuff, it’s good to know how the newer OS’s work…

I agree, just a little off-topic lol!

1 Like

Made a thread for this conflab! :wink:

I went from XP to Windows 7
(Skipped Vista)
and I will go from Windows 7 to 9
(Skipped Windows 8)

If Windows 9 is like 8, I will go to Linux :unamused:
Much like Star Trek movies, if you follow the odd-even rule, you get a better product, IMHO :smile:

3 Likes

What about Windows 10?

1 Like

Still, I’m not sure if Microsoft has stopped updates yet but it will be very vulnerable as time goes on without updates (to viruses and key loggers)

1 Like

Yeah, I have 2GB Ram with windows 7, so yeah. That’s fun…

1 Like

I guess it will depend on what path MS go down.

Ideally i would like to see two ranges of OS from MS, One for ‘Experts’ with no nanny controls or so called ‘safety’ restrictions and one for more mainstream users with all the added security needed for shared family pc’s.

3 Likes

My PC is a turtle
If you don’t understand think of the durability, active-ness, speed, and consumables of the turtle

BUUUUUUUT… I am going to buy a new computer in a few months

Do you guys think Microsoft is going to develop windows 99? :laughing:

99? Oh, I mean Windows with 95/98 interface, just to bring back the good old fashioned days

1 Like

I love computer threads. I know a good bit about them :b

(Maybe a tag for just computers?)

Anyways, Windows XP 32bit can use up to 4GB’s of ram. 2.7 per process though. While XP 64bit can go up to 16 GB’s

XP being unsupported just means no more updates, so if a hacker finds a hole in their system, they will not fix the hole. That’s basically it.

If you need to upgrade to 7/8 then go to reddit.com/r/softwareswap and get a $20 key from someone, instead of paying 100+ for a cd/key. (And it’s all legit)

1 Like

Has anyone owned a Mac? Is it easy to get used to?

1 Like

Yeah it’s easy to get used to, but I would not recommend buying one.

1 Like