[Linux] The Bugs of the Linux version

Excuse me,
The Linux version of this game is NOT running well:

1. No sound
  2. Crashes when moving from the garage (Workaround is to rename temp files)
  3. laggy as hell (Ubuntu 12.04, Chromium Browser,
  4. if you advance into later gaming stages, there are more and more error messages, which break the game, here’s the latest:

Uncaught error. Please report this to support@greenheartgames.com:
Uncaught ReferenceError: Windows is not defined
(file:///tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.zC4llw/compressed/codeNw.js:60)

Its frustrating when you spend your time on something that is fun, to have it destroyed because you forgot to spellheck and look after case sensitivity in your code.

I mean, Its not Dwarf Fortress, Losing here isn’t fun. especially if the game breaks.

pls fix. :wink:

1 Like

I did get sound working actually!

It uses x86 alsa sound system. So if you are using pulse audio (standard for ubuntu) you need lib32-alsa, lib32-alsa-plugins (for alsa->pulse conversion) and lib32-libpulse. Those are arch linux names of the packages I used, but equivalents should be available in Ubuntu.

I do get the crash when trying to move from the garage though.

Could you explain number 2? Where is the files, and what to rename them to?

I’m also quite curious about what temp files need to be moved, as I can’t seem to move on in the game.

I don’t get any sound either, and I can’t seem to find the packages that where mentioned by @Yugge (I’m on Ubuntu 12.10).

Try the tar.gz version unpack it to a directory and run it from there. Had the same issue and that worked for me. Probably because the libffmpegsumo.so isn’t found in /usr/lib when installing the deb.

You can create a shell script to do that automatically for the time being, just safe the following code in a file (“gamedevstarter.sh” or something)

#!/bin/bash
./gamedevtycoon &
sleep 2
DIR=$(ps ax | grep gamedev | grep working-directory | sed -e 's/.*directory=\([^ ]*\) .*/\1/')
mv $DIR/images/superb/level2Desk.png $DIR/images/superb/level2desk.png

Save it, run ‘chmod +x gamedevstarter.sh’ to make it executable and then just run gamedevstarter.sh when you want to start the game. (Has to be in the same directory as the gamedevtycoon binary)

Didn’t have problems like that. Didn’t get thaaaat far in the game yet though.

1 Like

@GunmanPunisher
Thanks for you reply :smiley:

for the workaround on to how to get out of your garage try post #9:
http://t.co/nwrA1KTJW6

just letting you guys know that we are looking to solve this but we need some help with it. I posted a job posting and hopefully some people will be able to assist us soon:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/job-available-help-us-solve-the-issues-on-linux/1236

wishing you all the success in finding one linux coder. I’m just a translator :smiley:

1. Can be solved by putting libffmpegsumo.so in the same directory as the gamedevtycoon executable, I’m guessing it’s loaded at runtime, meaning it doesn’t search in /usr/lib. I would sugguest putting gamedevtycoon, nw.pak and libffmpegsumo.so in a directory in either /usr/lib/ or in /opt and then create a script in /usr/bin that loads the actual executable (I have seen several programs/games that do this).

2. As has been said before can be solved by renaming images/superb/level2Desk.png to images/superb/level2desk.png, but this should probably be solved in the next version as the developers are aware of this problem.

3. I have seen this myself too, though a computer restart usually resolves it so not sure what the cause is here.

4. I’ve only gotten to the second stage so far, but I suspect it could be a file case problem again as with 2?

5. In addition I’d like to add the libudev problem on Ubuntu 13.04. libudev0 was deprecated in this version (which I think was a bad move) and it seems like libudev1 is only available on raring. Game Dev Tycoon depends on libudev0, meaning it fails with a linking error. You could probably package your own version of libudev0, or statically link against it.

For those having issues with library versions and 64/32 bit issues, I’ve posted a pretty neat workaround here: http://techthat.net/2013/05/01/game-dev-tycoon-on-linux/

1 Like

thanks for posting this.

maybe sticky this topic so linux users have one central thread? I’m willing to edit the bugs and temp. workarounds into a form of list.

I agree with this, we need a list of known bugs and possible workarounds since there keep popping up threads with bugs that have already been acknowledged elsewhere.

It’s really a pitty that the Linux version is sooooo buggy like that. I end up insatisfied with the game and quit playing.

You are already using 1.3.5?
enter link description here

1. laggy as hell (Ubuntu 12.04, Chromium Browser,

Same for me.
Framelag starts when I hire the 4th developer.
During development the framerate will drop to something like <5 fps.
Linux Mint 14, 64bit