What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy?

yes, it shows up. We have absolutely no intention of suing anyone over this.
Just want to make this clear. This isn’t about name calling or hating on piracy it’s about showing how much piracy hurts the game development scene, especially the small guys.

1 Like

We have absolutely no intention of suing anyone over this.

That doesn’t even make sense. Either you take a negative stance (potentially lost sales) fight against piracy or you take a positive stance (potentially free advertising) and don’t. But mixing those two seems inconsistent to me, seeming as if there are internal differences in the two-man team.

That’s rubbish. A developer can decry piracy without resorting to suing those in question. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

But it was. You are greenheartgames and you distributed it to them. You could maybe make an argument that they did something morally wrong by thinking they were using an illegal copy, but in reality it was a perfectly legal thing for them to do.

Seriously (and honestly) answer this: Imagine, hypothetically, that you’d take a person who downloaded a copy of the game FROM YOU to court for illegally downloading it. Can you honestly say you think you would win the case? If your answer is no, then by what base can you call them thieves?

1 Like

Well I guess my stance is the Mahatma Gandhi stance for game developers :smiley:

1 Like

Well…
1 No problem, a few weeks later the “good version” also will be pirated anyway. The statement that piracy is the reason why sales are low is a lie. Make a quality product, I will not buy sht.
2 If a game is good, I buy it after I pirate it. After, because I will not buy sh
t. I will buya it IF it is available without always-on-line spyware, or without any other DRM.
3 If a game is only available with DRM, than fck the developers or the publisher, I will not buy it, I pirate it, I finish it, and I delete it, because it was a waste of my time. A game that I can only play once, a song, or an album that I can listen to once, a movie that I can watch only once because it’s such a big piece of sht is not worth buying whether the creators like that fact or not. I as a customer am thinking, and I will decide if something was a waste of time, or something is worth buying because of it’s quality.
4 In the case of an AAA game, the statement saying bullshit like “pirating a game/an album/a movie makes the artists starve” is a lie. Perhaps dumb people believe it, but intelligent people certainly does not. The whole copyright issue is about money and controlling who can buy a product. The easiest way to limit a product’s availability for certain parts of society is setting the product’s price right.
5 I buy games legally, I own a lot of games legally, all DRM-free of course.
6 Fck DRM and all the bloodsuckers trying to sell us sht for 60$ (or even 1$) per piece!

You bought the Windows Store copy which is only available on Windows 8 and only from Microsoft. We released the version for Mac, Linux and Windows yesterday so all these stats are for these versions.

Actually there is a flaw in the piracy message appearing.It seems to appear whether or not you have the pirated or paid version. Having the money cheat certainly changes everything and doesn’t send you bankrupt.

Greenheartgames keep up the good work.

I think you misunderstand how software works. The possession of the file or access to it doesn’t give you any rights to the software. That’s why all these annoying EULA (end user license agreements) are displayed. Your illegal activity is not downloading it, it is using and distributing it because that’s against the EULA.

there is a similar message in the real game but the one presents you with two options. the other one in the pirated version doesn’t.

You didn’t answer my question.

Hey guys, just wanted to pop by and say, fantastic work with the pirates of the gaming industry. Seeing the news today cheered me up so much I wrote you guys a news article about it on the site I work for, link is here: http://www.digibytes.me/2013/04/the-best-drm-ever/

Please enjoy and I’ll be buying the game and doing a review on it in the next couple weeks.

yes, of course because the court case would be about how the user violated the EULA… anyway, I said what I wanted to say and as I said before, I will not take any legal action over those players.

@abradley101 just called your stunt DRM, yet you, @PatrickKlug, say it’s a DRM-free game. How does your actions being misunderstood feel?

It’s DRM-free if you buy the game legally.

Sorry, Sir, last time I checked, when someone stole someone’s property, they were called a thief. Can someone explain to me how this is not understood by everyone?

And about the inspiration. Everybody is inspired by everything we see. Do you now want to label Van Gogh a thief because he didn’t create the original sunflowers he was inspired to paint? If i’m honest, there haven’t been enough of these types of games. Game Dev Story is the only big one that has been any good and we all could do with some more like it.

Theft: A steals object. Object is now gone.
Piracy/copying/plagiarism: A copied object. Object exists now twice.

now i feel really good, after reading this great idea against piracy

i was thinking they have a bug :smiley:
hope it move some of them to buy the game

and thanks for your great support @PatrickKlug

What a brilliant response to piracy! The “cracked” version is playable, but it halts progress after the player is already invested in his game. When I get home from work today, I’m going to buy the game because of this article – although I do like the genre, and the game looks fun.

1 Like

Honestly, not very smart at all. At most, you’ve made a very silly and redundant point about piracy that everyone has heard in the past. At worst, you’ve now turned away a bunch of people that were potential customers because they think the game is now broken. Pirates are not lost sales, but rather potential ones. They are people that still have a chance to buy your game if you make a case for it well enough, rather than those who completely avoid it.

An example of using piracy for their own gains: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122054-Anodyne-Developer-Turns-Piracy-Into-PR Anodyne with a simple promotion and discount skyrocketed straight up the Greenlight charts and made quite a bit of money at the same time. Again I reiterate: Pirates are potential customers, not a loss.

It doesn’t help that your game is a bit of a shameless clone (perhaps even a ‘pirate’) of another series of games. I never intend to pirate nor even play your game, especially after such a silly stunt.