What happens when pirates play a game development simulator and then go bankrupt because of piracy?

Just bought the game to support the company and their (brilliant!) idea to create a special version for the warez site…

Bought because I think that was a rad idea

1 Like

I bought this game just because you did this! Hilarious! Well that and because I agree with DRM free game developers, so wish to support you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi !

First of all, what forum or comment engine do you use ? It look really smart to me !

Congratulation for your buzz with the pirated edition ! I will try your game with it because it look funnier to me to try to fight piracy in-game than to be locked-in a garage in the demo. But if i still playing your game after next monday, i will buy it and perapse earlier !

I’m freelance site web builder and i hope, in few time, online web developper of my own’s games. Yes, i will use the free2play economic model with pay2play premium additions because it look the safest economic model to live as game creator. But i will expermient other ways :

• make a tiny free and open-source game and present a greater game project on a kickstarter-like site with a first goal to make a beta and give the access to backers, and a bigger goal with cover all estimated developpment cost + 50% witch is : with this goal reach, i will release the full game as an open-source software. I think this is an other way to make solo game nowerdays.
  • make a basic free2play game with premium additions and for all this premium addition let the player say what % of his payment is to acces for a time limited period, to the premium feature, and what % is to liberate the feature. (default will be 90/10 but fully modifiable form 100/0 to 0/100) With this pay model, players will be able to pay there feature a bit less if they have small budget, or to pay 50% more to help the feature to change to be in public access later. The liberate feature goal is an estimate of the developpement cost of the feature, and when it’s reach, the feature is integreated in the core free gameplay for every players.

Here are 2 alternative to classic buyable software (game or not) i like.
I like them because create a game cost much, duplicate it online is costless. The two way presented just before give you money to pay your creation work, not (or less) to pay the number of copy you do.

If you want stay tunned about my futur work and econnomic reflection, you can find-me online on twitter (@1000i100 for perso @1twitif for pro, facebook (same pseudo as here and same company name for the pro page) or in few time on my company blog : blog.1twitit.fr (yes, it will be almost in french)

Good work and good buzz again, have a nice and long life as game developper !
GammaNu

1 Like

It is from

Great movie, see it if you haven’t! And always keep typing :wink:

I found this article via facebook and bought the game at the end of it. I don’t particularly like these tycoon games, I just wanted to give you guys money for being awesome.

2 Likes

If we start seeing more DRM in games after this, I doubt you’ll be laughing as you are now. But at least we’ll know who to put the blame on in that case. It won’t be the pirates, let me tell you.

Otherwise, I’d wager there are a few pirates out there who are working to strip away the roadblock the experimental crack created. This move would give them incentive, certainly.

well, if DRM free doesn’t work then there’s no choice, is there? other than creating online and social games I mean.

GOG uses DRM-free systems. Why not release with them instead of only using the Windows Store at first?

Otherwise, why conduct and show off an experiment like this that could potentially make big publishers add more DRM versus letting the market tell them to back off of that idea? You really think that was a good idea with the 720 on the way with its DRM systems and with Ubisoft finally stepping away from always-online?

I can’t blame anyone for being angry at the thought, and in this case, it’s not the pirates who may cause a change like that because they’re not going to stop anyway. It’ll be down to you and your brother.

well I don’t have any rights to be angry on the anti-piracy feature you put in the cracked version, I’m a cracked version downloader not because I don’t want to spend some money on the game, I pretty much love the game, but I don’t have the capabilities to buy the game, I’m just a high school student who have more things to prioritize more than to buy legit game, at least I experience this beautiful game, as much as I’d like to support you and buy legit I can’t. well keep up the good job making games that would make players enjoy what they pay for.

Bought the game, spent few euro. Not much, but I feel it is wasted money and I’m not that suprised that people rather download it from torrent then pay for it. From what I saw (Linux user here) and read on forums this game looks more like late-beta then completed product with the bugs, problems with installation etc.

Sorry - but it is better to get torrent, then to pay for your product. Polish it, resolove the bugs, make it undependant on third-party software (I hate Chrome and webkit, why should I install it for this game only?) - then we talk. As for now - you may be completely sure that any of my friends who ask me about the game will hear from me: “not worth it, get torrent version”.

I wonder if some people manage to reach the end even with the piracy thing… probably by staying in the garage the whole time to minimize monthly costs.

@zarathos I understand your frustration and fully accept that the linux version was not ready. This was my fault. We will try to get it working soon.

ITT: Butthurt Pirates trying to argue why Greenheart Games is smelly poo-poo

The disconnect between pirate’s self-righteous belief in the lack of impact they have on a product’s sales is staggering. It’s a little like they all went to the same school of indoctrination and it’s amazing how, now they’ve repeated it enough times amongst themselves, this has become their own unquestionable truth.

I know for a fact that immediately after some form of digital media has been released, many people see if they can acquire it without paying. They’ll try the usual blogs linking to cyberlockers and torrent sites and if it’s not available for free quickly and easily a significant percentage will think “I guess I’ll have to pay” And they often do.

So while not all of the 93% freeloaders on the graph would have been sales, a torrent DID impact on sales for those people who behave as described above.

I don’t expect any torrent freak to accept this because they’re all up to their necks in “Piracy is good no matter what anyone else says” and it’s this disconnect between pirate’s actions and the reality of the situation that’s cause for concern.

Why? Because if you seriously believe the lie that there’s no impact on sales by piracy and all piracy is good for all business, it makes you as blindly fanatical and dictatorial as the big corps both you and many small developers hate.

What’s really sad about this is we all had a chance to send a message to all the big corps by voting with our wallets and supporting the smaller, more ethical companies and helped create an alternative way of commerce and redistribution of wealth away from the 1%

Sadly though the pirates, blew this out of the water by decreeing “From rich or poor, big or small, forget your ethics and just fill your boots” and that makes you as exploitative for your own ends as the 1%ers are for theirs.

So the bottom line is no matter how much you try and wrap it up as something else, it all boils down to “I want it all for free”… and no matter how much small developers try and find a happy medium you continually piss up their backs while claiming it’s only a bit of rain.

1 Like

Don’t forget there are also people from the “No torrent? Oh well, the game doesn’t look that great anyway, I’ll pass” category. For example, I tend to get torrented versions of every even remotely interesting game, so that I can then check the quality and buy it if it’s really interesting. Without torrents it takes quite more time to judge if a game worth it, and as I can’t spend too much time evaluating each game from indirect media sources (screenshots, etc) – this means I’ll just pass some of them without even bothering.

Which is why all devs worth their salt have a demo version

It is only called plagiarism when the product is an exact copy of the other product and signed and sold under your name.

I’ve tried Game Dev Story and Game Dev Tycoon and both games quite different. Both is unique in their respective way. So where you get plagiarism from is something I need to question. And I do own both games.

You know, if you wrote a biography, and I read it and decided to do my own biography using your book, that is called plagiarism.

I didn’t pirate Game Dev Tycoon, since a demo(or light) version was available. I decided to buy it a few hours later. Sadly, not every developers has a demo available of their game, and because of that, I tend to use pirated copies as demo. This way I’ve discovered a few gems. Dead Space series(EA) being one of them.

The Problem had a problematic stem: The thing is, that kids around 13-14 usually really had few money and then discovered “Hey, this page has all games for free!” and downloaded it without thinking. This is continued today, as online payment requires credit information or at least a bank account w/ paypal. Both unavailable for teens and kids under a certain age. So lot of them don’t think further and pirate the game. This became a habit, and since the video game industry is quite old, the internet also nears 20-30 years around. Those who were teens are now grown-ups, sticking to their habit. I see a lot of people who claim “I pirate to test games” or “I only pirate when I’m annoyed by DRM” etc. How much of this is true I wonder? No one except the most honest people would admit “I pirated because I was selfish and thoughtless.”

I can rant about that as long as I want, so I stop because it doesn’t change a damn thing.

2 Likes