Mod's don't work!

So, I’ve checked around the forums alot, and I’ve found that many people are having trouble using mods, even workshop mods. They’re always greeted with error messages, meaning they never work. I don’t have a solution, but I was hoping if, by asking, someone might come out with an answer. Why have workshop if no one can use it? Does ANYONE have a solution? Does anyone CARE?

The modding library that a lot of mods use is outdated. This is why most mods don’t work.

what mod? what’s the error message?

First of all, that last sentence was not necessary.
Second of all, a lot of mods on there is outdated. The devs aren’t the ones to blame. If they give people the choice to make mods but the people don’t make the mods, is it their fault? No.
Third of all, do you have any more mod-error-related-queries to ask?
Fourth of all, i lied when i said fourth of all because there is no point.
Fifth of all, i lied on that sentence because there was a point, and i will stop talking.

@WaveJones

First of all, thank you for replying with more than one sentence.

Second of all, how so are mods outdated? Is it the dev’s Mod API or that UltimateLib? Is there any chance of identifying what’s wrong with either?

Third of all, Not really, no. I feel the mod inquiries that exist answer my questions:
“Hey, I’m having a mod related error.”
“Whats the error message?”
"[insert universal error message here]"
“Oh, it’s probably [insert generic method of trouble shooting]”
"… It didn’t work."
"(A new challenger approaches!) Try [insert slightly obscure troubleshooting method here]"
“That didn’t work either.”
"[Replies cease]"

End of scene, curtains drop, fin.

Finally, I find it sad that most mods don’t work because they choose to use a third-party mod creator instead of the official API on it’s own. No wonder so many mods are outdated!

P.S. I have can’t think of much more to say about it.
P.P.S. I have one thing to say, actually: I wish mod’s worked, and I wished someone could take the time to make it happen.

@chizbejoe
Well, that seems incredibly catastrophic. If most mods use a third party modding library, what happens when it becomes outdated? There’s no support from the dev’s, since they didn’t use THEIR API to make their mods.

@PatrickKlug
It’s nothing that can be fixed, since most mod’s use a modding library that is now outdated, meaning most if not all mods on workshop or online are broken.

Though, now that I think about, there IS a way to fix it, if someone took the time to do it.
Somehow update the mods?.. nah, that wouldn’t work.

…would it?

And, just so everyone knows, here’s the error I get:

Error Could not load mod: gdt-modAPI.: ReferenceError: requireLoad is not defined
Enabled Mods:
Game Dev Tycoon Mod API by support@greenheartgames.com
Finance mod 2.0 by Mabb (This mod specifically says that it does NOT need UltimateLib to run.)

There used to be ALOT more error messages, though they all disappeared after I did this (a fix I found myself):
Many of the error messages that would appear told of the requirejs-2.1.8 file, so what I did was get that file off the internet from the requirejs website, deleted the old requirejs file, and replaced it with the new one from the website. Naming it requirejs-2.1.8 seems to get rid of all those errors, and the game still runs as it should (without mods, of course…)

First of all, your welcome.

Second of all, i believe that the official Mod API will always be bugfixed for every bugfix update GHG releases. Most mods use UltimateLib, which is outdated.

Third of all, i can’t find a good answer to that third point in my mind.

It is true that a lot of excisting mods out there use UltimateLib, however there are a fair few that do not use this third-party library and are not out of date, thus still work.

There has been a lot of drama about the modding community and mods the last few weeks. The truth of the matter is: yes, the modding community is dead, but don’t let this disappoint you. I’ll just tell you what I’ve been telling everyone else. Once Greenheart’s next game is released, we will be back to the glory days of modding. How long the glory days will last? I don’t know… It’s different for every game. We’ll just have to wait and see…

If you really think this is a serious issue then make a list of all mods that still work. I’ll help you if necessary.

2 Likes

@chizbejoe
Its not that there is a lack of mods, its that there is a lack of mods that work. It’s amazing to me how the modding community has become so crippled due to the dependency on a modding library that no longer works with new versions of Game Dev Tycoon.

Ironically, I bet there is an event like this in the actual game…

There really isn’t that much of a difference between a lack of mods and a lack of mods that work. Don’t really see why that correction or statement was made…

Does it really? You’re surprised that an indie-developers very first game’s modding community only lasted, and correct me if i’m wrong, a year (possibly more), because of a respectable modding library’s sudden stop in updates?

It is my understanding that: one of the reasons that almost everybody used this modding library is because the guys who made it were already respectable and recurring members of the community. There was a lot of trust to begin with. Which is why it kinda took the community by the surprise when the team behind the project suddenly stopped, and allowed no one else to continue the project.

Even after the developers stopped updating the modding library, a lot of people continued to used this to create mods, not knowing that it was outdated. And eventually, overtime, with every new GDT update, the mods for the game were filled up with all these mods that no longer work. Again, correct if i’m wrong, but this is how I perceived what happened.

It really wasn’t until the Community Expansion DLC was cancelled that the modding community truly died.

But now to get to what I am truly curious about. Realistically speaking, what do you want exactly? There are only small number of things which can happen to solve this problem:

1. The guys who created the modding library continue development and update it.
  2. The guys who created the modding library allow someone else to continue development.
  3. Someone goes one-by-one and fixes all the mods that don’t work.
  4. All the modders suddenly decide to update their own mods.

All three of these possibilities are most likely not going to happen… It’s about time everyone has accepted that… We just need to move on, and try our best to make sure the modding community thrives even more in Greenheart’s upcoming game. :green_heart:

Hey, rather than that method I would suggest using the Steam verify cache function:

All operating systems - Verify integrity of game cache

• Load Steam.
  • From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
  • Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache… button.
  • Steam will verify the game’s files - this process may take several minutes.