Ideas for Game Dev Tycoon DLC

[head start: sorry for bad grammar]
So, I have been addicted to this game for quite some time now, and I cannot get enough of it. I have finished the game endless times, but I want more! Basically, what I did was I created a concept where the campaign is a little bit different.

Edit : Added moar Ideas, because why not?

Plot
You start off doing games alone in your garage, and after quite some time, two of your gaming childhood friends from the neighborhood comes over and asks if they can join with you in developing games 'cause making games was their dream too. You can decline if you want to continue on with the vanilla campaign, but if you agree, the whole campaign is changed.

One of your friends said that you’re going to need a bigger place if you three were to develop a game together, so you move at his dad’s old computer shop. After a few weeks, his dad came over to see how you develop games. After finishing a game, his dad will make comments [give you hints] and tell you about a professional way of developing games.

1. If you choose “I want to learn more” then you’ll be the first company to ever develop games in a new professional way and gain alot more fan, admiration, and if that game was a big hit, sponsorships.
  2. If you choose “I want to do this on my own” then you’ll continue developing games, until the news reports about a new professional way of developing games. There will be alot of competition, and game reviewers will be more strict on rating games.

Little did you know his dad was a professional programming engineer and computer scientist, and was one of the lead of revolutionizing technology and game developments. Either way, this will change the entire course of your career.

Game Elements
After you’ve learned about the more “professional” way of developing games, development stages have become different. Dad suggests that you assign each person to a specific branch. Luckily, there were 3 Branches and there were 3 persons in your team. You assign each one of them by

1. Assigning what branch they want to be - they’ll be a lot faster in increasing their skills if you did this
  2. Assigning them on your own - they’ll turn to be great leaders in that certain branch if you did this

The way on how games are develop has been revolutionized, each development stages have been replaced by branches, and each of these branches are made at the same time with other branches, unlike the development stages. There are 3 Main Branches:

• Technology Branch
  • Game Programming Branch
  • Design Branch

Each branch have their own key elements, and each of them have 3 components.

Technology Branch

• System Design - Engine, Physics, Mechanics
  • User Interface - GUI, HUD, HCI
  • Tech Programming - A.I., I/O, Computer Language

Game Programming Branch

• Screenplay Writing - Dialogues, Roleplay, Story/Quests
  • Game Design - Gameplay, World Design, Level Design
  • Script Programming - Software, Application, Programming Language

Design Branch

• Contents - elements, composition, presentation
  • Visuals - art, visual effects, graphics
  • Audio - music, speech, sound effects

If you chose to let your friends in, at the start of the game, you can only adjust the elements of each branch, which will be prioritized or whatnot.

If you chose to refuse your friends, at the start of the game, you can only adjust the branch itself, which will be prioritized or whatnot

As the game progress, as you get more members/recruit, and as you upgrade your office, only then can you adjust the components of each element of each branch. If you have reached this point of your career, only then will the game reviewers will become strict. This will make the game more challenging. But if you manage to succeed, then you will topple all your competitors, and attract companies doing everything they can to put you down.

Game Competitors

In the vanilla game, the major competitors were Ninvento, Vony, Micronoft, and Grapple. In this DLC, more presence are given towards Publishing Companies, and new competitor - Toggle.

There will also be major companies and publishers such as Ubicroft, Early Access Games, and Gonami. You can offer them Cr. in order to try to buy them out. If you do, they will provide financial support to you as long as they’re in your cape of influence. But be warned, if the publisher gets more famous than your company, they might overthrow you, making it a mistake of having them in your cape of influence.

Game Departments
In the vanilla game, there were only two departments/lab: Hardware and R&D. In this DLC, there will be new departments, companies, and upgrades to the already-existing labs. Doing projects can be done at the same time as long as you keep investing and expanding your labs. Maximum four projects at a time.

Hardware Lab

1. Develop Consoles
  2. Develop Computers
  3. Develop Hardwares

The Hardware Lab will be upgraded, making it the Tech Lab, and it allows you to:

1. Develop Gadgets
  2. Develop Components
  3. Develop Systems

Development Lab: (early stage)

1. Research
  2. Management
  3. Projects

The Development Lab will be upgraded, making it the R&D Lab, and it allows you to:
The R&D Lab will be split into three: the actual R&D Lab, DRM, and Publishing Companies.

1. Production
  2. Contracts
  3. Industry

The DRM allows you to:

1. License your game, game engines, and hardwares.
  2. Agreements and Authentications towards games, gamers, or other companies
  3. Anti-Piracy and Code: Grid, etc.
  4. Buy other competitors

The Publishing Company allows you to:

1. Make Publishing Deals yourself
  2. Manufacturing
  3. Advertising and Marketing, etc.
  4. Buy other publishing companies

All of this will eventually be unlocked as you progress through the game, recruit more members for your team, and upgrade your office.

Game Stages

In the vanilla game, stages are separated by moving/upgrading your office. In this DLC, stages are separated by gaining more fans, credits, and most importantly, members.

Stage 1

At the beginning of the game, you start off with three members - you, and your two childhood friends. You are to assign their roles and plan out how you’re going to develop games. Once in a while, dad visits and tells you some hints and tricks in developing games. Rise of Godovore and Venna
[Unlocked: Game Development Branches]

Members . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Roles
You . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lead Game Programmer
Friend1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lead Tech Programmer
Friend2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lead Design programmer

Stage 2

Because of you recent success in the gaming industry, you gained some fans, and some of them e-mailed you and asked if they could join you in developing games because they were retired game developers before and want to redeem themselves. If you choose to agree, after a couple of weeks, they will come at your door and be shocked that you were just developing games in an old computer shop. There was no more space for them to develop games inside, dad comes over and suggests you buy a new office yourself. You have to other choice but to do so. With a new spacy office, and additional members, you are sure to develop games much easier. Rise of Ninvento and Vonny
[Unlocked: Game Development Elements, Custom Engines]

You . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lead Game Programmer
FanA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Game Programming Assistant
FanB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tech Programmer
FanC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Design Programmer

Stage 3

Because of your continued success in the gaming industry, dad e-mails you and offers a spot for your new office - an abandoned hangar, and suggests you renovate this place into your very own company. With enough credits, you did so, got your own company, and started recruiting more people. Other companies, scammers, hackers, and internet trolls starts to notice you. After the first cyber attack, dad e-mails you and suggests you buy your own security system, to protect you from cyber attacks. One of your friends researched about a Hardware and Development Lab and suggested if they could get one too, and this will help them in making a stand in the gaming industry even more. Rise of Micronoft and Grapple
[Unlocked: Security System, Hardware Lab, Development Lab, Game Dev. Components, Element Specializations]

You . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Industry Manager
FanA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lead Game Programmer
RecruitA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Game Programmer
RecruitD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Game Programmer
RecruitB. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tech Programmer
RecruitC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Design Programmer

Stage 4 (end stage)

You have become a game manager and owner of a big time company, that old hangar before was now a massive-sized industrial building for the sole purpose of developing games. More and more companies are trying to put you down, and sabotage you, forcing you to upgrade your security systems even further. Dad e-mails you recent information about Tech Labs, R&D Labs, DRM’s, and Publishing Companies. You recruit more people in your team. You now have the ability to buy other competitors, and the surprise appearance of a major competitor - Toggle, made your company lose some market share. It is now up to you to outsell Toggle, and be the best gaming and technological industry ever written in history. Rise of Toggle and Publishing Companies
[Unlocked: Heightened Security Measures, Tech Lab, R&D Lab, DRM, Publishing Companies, Component Specializations]

You . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Industry Manager
FanA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lead Game Programmer
RecruitA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Game Programmer
RecruitD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Game Programmer
RecruitE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Game Programmer
RecruitB. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tech Programmer
RecruitF. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tech Programmer
RecruitC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Design Programmer
RecruitG. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Design Programmer

Stage 5 (bonus stage)

You were the most successful industry in the whole world, you managed to buy Vony, Micronoft, and even Toggle, and all other publishing companies. Many recent companies are starting to rise and the whole world is now depending on you for technological innovations. Everything is now up to you.
[Unlocked: Virtual Reality, Robots, Automated Systems, Futuristic Technologies, etc.]

And that’s it for my ideas for Game Dev Tycoon DLC. If someone made this into reality, then that someone is a GOD.
ps. Game Dev Tycoon - I cannot wait for the sequel! 11/10 Nuff said.

1 Like

DLC? I surely wont be buying that.

The definition of a DLC was more fitting, but consider it as only an Overhaul/Expansion, or a mod that changes the gameplay and story line. Think of it like “Skyrim Redone”, if you have ever played and modded Skyrim. (no purpose of advertising it here)

Downloadable content can be of several types, ranging from aesthetic outfit changes to a new, extensive storyline.

And this was only but an idea, not something that will be published. Of course all ideas have flaws, that’s why they are called ideas. Ideas are the main root of all great games, they are improved upon, changed, discarded, criticized, or even joined with other ideas to turn into something great. And also, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
I would like to think/make more ideas for mods because that’s what paranoids are best for, wish I could develop one myself but I lack the skills.