Game won't install properly! [Windows XP]

I bought the game quite a while ago, pretty much exactly when the whole piracy story was published, I enjoyed it a lot, I’m on a different computer now (it runs windows XP) and whenever I try installing the game from the installer in the email, it gets stuck on GameDevTycoon.exe and just says “MoveFailed; code 2 Couldn’t find file” and if I choose to skip the file then it installs the rest of the files correctly, but obviously I can’t play without the .exe. I tried redownloading the installer, same thing happens. Help please.

It sounds as if it could be related to this post;

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/solutions-anti-virus-false-positives-eg-avast-norton-bitdefender/6124/

Hope that helps!

Nope even turning it off entirely does not help :confused:

Which AV are you using?

I would suggest the following procedure at your own risk;

1. Create an exception for the exe and game folder (most important step - detailed guide in the post i linked to)
  2. Reboot your PC
  3. Disable your AV
  4. Download and install Game Dev Tycoon from the link in the email. You must download a new copy to maintain the file integrity.
  5. Reboot and re enable your AV

I’m using Avast, I am sure it has nothing to do with it, I did all the rebooting and stuff like that but it just isn’t changing anything, I was hoping maybe someone could send me just the main .exe and the other files would install themselves properly

This is a recent problem Avast has thrown at us. Its called a False Positive. Avast has marked Game Dev Tycoon as a potentially hazardous threat.
We have contacted them and they will correct this mistake in their next update hopefully.

If you read my main post which i linked first, and then follow the procedure i laid out to the letter Avast wont give you any problems.

Same problem on windows 8

If you are using Avast then this is the most likely cause of the problem as there is a confirmed false positive detection. Avast has stated they will resolve this in an update.

More info in this topic:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/game-dev-tycoon-and-avast-not-getting-along/6121/

As @PatrickKlug said, Avast has some… false… positive detection…

Watcha’ have to do is, over on your right on the taskbar, you can see an arrow. Click there, then open the Avast icon. Then the Avast window will open, all you have to do is click Security, Antivirus, File System Shield, and then Settings. Then click the Exclusions, so you can see the programs that you can exclude from Avast scanning. If you install the game, when the code failed, you should see a button “Ignore”, click that, and the installation should be completed. Then go back to your Avast windows then Add, then go search for the Game Dev Tycoon folder. Then click Ok, Ok, and close the window. Try the program.

If the problem still persists… Well. I’m sorry, i can’t do anything until Avast makes a patch. :frowning:

Hope this helps though!

1 Like