[WIP] Engine Feature Mod [0.0.3]

Objective

• The goal of the mod is to add depth to the game engine features
  • Specifically the mod replaces plain and nondescriptive features like “3D Graphics V2” and “Better A.I” with more features with more realistic names and deeper gameplay.

Current features

• Replaces all vanilla graphic game engine features
  • Replaces all vanilla artificial intelligence game engine features
  • Replaces all vanilla dialogues game engine features
  • Replaces all vanilla starting game engine features
  • Adds total of 32 new game engine features
  • Adds genre - game engine feature combos

Planned features

• Add audience - game engine feature combos
  • Add platform - game engine feature combos
  • Add topic - game engine feature combos
  • Replace most of the engine features of the vanilla game
  • Integrate added combos to the hint & game report system

Dependencies

• None

Installation

• Download the mod from https://github.com/Zeikko/engine-feature-mod/archive/master.zip
  • Extract the downloaded zip
  • Copy and paste the engineFeatureMod directory to your Game Dev Tycoon directory which is usually located at: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Game Dev Tycoon\mods” for 64-bit computers and “C:\Program Files\Game Dev Tycoon\mods” for 32-bit computers.
  • Start Game Dev Tycoon
  • Press ESC, click mods, click Engine Feature Mod
  • Restart Game Dev Tycoon

Development

Changelog

0.0.3 Added dialogues features.
0.0.2 Added artificial intelligence features

4 Likes

what is your profile pic on steam

Looks good thanks!

Will this conflict with any other mods adding engine features?

Had a quick look at your source. Nice idea.

You should fix your package.json as soon as you can since it’s just copied from the Expansion Pack.

I’d suggest that you read about genre weightings on the wiki and consider using this approach for your genreAdjustments. You are also missing the Adventure and Casual genre at the moment.

3 Likes

Thanks for checking the code Patrick.

Oops! Looks like a made some mistake and committed a wrong package.json ( https://github.com/Zeikko/engine-feature-mod/commit/1ee21c18c77c6955d9ca3df5bc546f3daaad2a1f ) while updating it. That’s fixed now.

Thanks for linking to the genre weightings. I will try using that approach instead of inventing my own. I don’t think Adventure and Casual are missing, some features just don’t have weightings for them and the default value is used.

Smokauweeds: I haven’t tried but i think the mod should work fine with other mods that add engine features. However it might not work with mods that modify or depend on the existing vanilla engine features.

Jediwolf: This is my steamcommunity page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zeikko

2 Likes

If you guys cant get in contact whit Zeikko, for whatever reason. You may poke me, and i can relay any message, we “work” together and convinced (confirmed) that creating this mod was a good idea. :slight_smile:

I have now added artificial intelligence and dialogues engine features. There’s now total of 32 new engine features.

I would be very happy if someone had the time to test the mod and give some feedback.

I am still looking for a person to help me with all the design work.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have been giving it a try. I like that you added some lower cost ai features. the ones i had were all the same cost. made it difficult to get a good balance, to the not go over the 100%, or feel like im not using enough engine parts.

I was coming here also to say, my engine Features disappeared for my upgraded engine. Its weird because its gone from the create new engine menu as well…but i was using 0.0.2. so let me try the new one.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Smokauweeds.

Do you think adding the lower cast AI features is good thing overall?

So you researched some engine features, created and engine with them. But now they’re gone from the engine and you can’t add them to a new engine either? Did I get it right?

Were you using any other mods?

If you still have the save file it would be very helpful if you could upload it somewhere so i could take look and try to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Yes, I like the lower ai features! it seemed to be the only “feature” that was really lacking in choice (i.e. Higher and lower costs) the other feature you could always strike a good balance, but AI was all 60k (med games?) thus selecting one 60k gave me no percentage, and selecting two 60k would put me 90%. hope that made some sort of sense?

as for the feature disappearing. I had made two engines, had the “save game” feature in both. i went to make a third engine, and the engine feature “save game” which was already in my previous engine was no longer in in choices for creating, nor in my new engine.

also i just noticed, that the graphics features are only showing the vector graphics you added. I can no longer select the other graphics features i have researched (i.e. 2d version two, 3d version 1)

I am using all the usual mods
camelot
cheatmod
competitor mod
expansionpack
infostat
tweakmod

I am going to start a new game tonight, with the .0.3 version.

I have the save game file…but i stupidly tried to upgrade the new version over it. i dont think i made a save with it yet though…

Do I just upload it into the comments?

Thanks Again

1 Like

ok, I am trying the 0.3.1 version and i keep getting an error.

2 Likes

I think i am able to produce that error too.

I don’t have a fix for it currently.

I’ll try to find time to fix it soon.

Thanks!