Is UltimateLib and the Ultimate Mod Editor broken?

Sparking from the rather aggressive response from the community whenever a mod is published that uses UltimateLib or UME (Exhibit A) I have to ask if anyone can point out what exactly is broken with mods using UltimateLib or UME.

As far as I know and as far as I have tested there is nothing fundamentally broken with UME and UL. It is certainly not bug free and if someone has the skill to create a mod from scratch that’s certainly more interesting but to our knowledge there is no show stopper in UME that would automatically make any mod unusable.

Has anyone a hard fact confirming that using UME or UL on a single mod would make the game unplayable?

EDIT:

I should say that we have no control over UME and UL. It’s a community created tool and the creators seem to have abandoned it. This is outside our control. For advanced features writing a mod from scratch is certainly the right choice but to our knowledge there are no changes in the game that would have suddenly made UME and UL unusable. It still does the job that it did before.

2 Likes

Well, considering that there seems to be a new post (what feels like) almost everyday about an error, which is almost always caused by UME/UL. It certainly isn’t “unplayable”. But as I said, the numerous posts about corrupted save files and errors speak for itself.

I feel ashamed for any and all aggression that has come from either me or the community. We all need to layoff a bit if we want the community to grow.

4 Likes

Well the solution for me is to take a look at the source code and see how to get things done without it, actually, I’ve never used it, the documentation is… I don’t know, unlike the API’s, I don’t understand. By the way Patrick I hope you don’t mind me peeking at the game’s source code… Anyways the thing here is: The UME saves a lot of pain, so you don’t have to go through seeing the source, deducing how something works, trying it, and ending up wrong. BUT the source code does change after an update that deletes/adds/edits features, isn’t it the case? However if that’s the case, I suppose that it IS possible to develop a fix for the UL, am I wrong?

There have not been any updates since the Steam Workshop release which would cause a mod to malfunction.

I suspect that most errors experienced by players are either when they disable a mod that was enabled on a save before (that pretty much guarantees a broken save) or when mod authors remove items from a mod (which also breaks past saves).

Anyway, my point is that there shouldn’t be anything fundamentally wrong with UME mods. If there is a feature that is completely broken, it was never exposed by anyone so far.

@PatrickKlug I think when you slightly changed the way the loading worked in the “main.js” file UME still used the old “method”. As for UL it seems to just reek havok when using quite alot of mods (for me at least)

Are we legally allowed to release a fixed version? I always thought there were people willing to help and update it but the developers wouldn’t allow it. Am I mistaken?

3 Likes

Wondering this too…

it says c 2013, 2014 we have 2015 so we are legally allowed i think!!

From a politician’s point of view, yes. Also, they are no longer here and that thing was developed with resources from GHG, so that makes it pretty much fair.

@alphabit is back i believe? sorry for necro but it’s at the top of my list of topics for some reason