Steam Workshop now in private beta

It took us much longer than anticipated but Game Dev Tycoon Workshop support is finally going to make an appearance!

Steam Workshop support will enable players a convenient and familiar way to install and manage mods while giving mod authors greater exposure and a better way to collect feedback and receive the praise they deserve.

Road to release

As of right now Steam Workshop support is in private beta. We are sending out invites to our most prolific modders, giving them a chance to publish and test their mods before we open it up to a larger part of the community. This will hopefully ensure that players will have some great mods to try as soon as Workshop support goes live.

If you want to help us test Workshop support, or you are super-keen on getting your mod listed early, then please send a PM to @Charlie but please be patient with us :smile:

Change log

Here is the full changelog for v1.5.0

v1.5.0 06. Aug. 2014

- New: Steam Workshop support (subscribe, publish and update mods).
- New: Language setting synchronization with Steam language settings.
- New: Added selection indicators to make selected items and mods more visually distinct.
- New: Added Tutorial settings to allow turning tutorials off completely.
- New: Added animation quality settings to reduce late-game lag.
- New: Added non-intrusive newsletter widget. If you like the game, why not subscribe?
- New: Added meta information about mods used to save games.
- New: Compatibility check and warnings when active mods don’t match with saved state.

• New: Added jQuery Timeago translation files (localizing the save/load screens completely).

• Changed: Improved translation (Arabic, Czech, German, Greek, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Russian).
    - Changed: Improved error message display.

• Changed: Improved mod list UI and savegame UI.

• Changed: Added new events for modders: GDT.eventKeys.gameplay.staffApplicantsGenerated, GDT.eventKeys.gameplay.staffHired, GDT.eventKeys.gameplay.staffFired, GDT.eventKeys.mod.allLoaded, GDT.saves.loaded, GDT.saves.newGame
    - Changed: Increased save game slots to five.

• Changed: Refactored the way researchable topics are calculated to make it more accessible to modders.

• Changed: Exposing more internal review methods to modders.

• Changed: Exposed more internal methods for managing staff.

• Changed: moved grid sale calculation to Sales.applyGridSales to allow easier modding.

• Fixed: gdt-modAPI: Checks.checkMissionOverrides did not return true when it should.

• Fixed: When using windowed mode the window size starts smaller than 1024x768.

• Fixed: End game stats crashes if no games are produced.

• Fixed: Occasional scrolling issues when using the mouse wheel.

• Fixed: Rarely the “Paused” text displays when the game is not paused.

• Fixed: Multiple character selection buttons “wiggle” at the same time.

• Fixed: Sometimes a bankrupt message would appear just after restarting a level.

• Fixed: Minor typos and grammatical issues.

• Fixed: It’s possible to start a new game or contract before the previous contract has finished.

• Fixed: GDT mod data is not cleared when starting a new game.

• Fixed: Settings are only saved when game is saved.

• Fixed: When budget sliders in lab have focus, navigating via arrow keys no longer works.

• Fixed: Several cases of incorrect font sizes when using translations.

10 Likes

Awesome! Greenheart Games does another great job. :smiley:

2 Likes

ooh. shiny.

2 Likes

YEAH! Amazing!

2 Likes

Too bad we don’t get a content update

While I don’t want to exclude the possibility of a content update, we think that working on our next games serves our players better in the long term than spending our time doing content updates for GDT. With the Steam Workshop support modders will get so much more exposure that it will hopefully result in some content-heavy mods being published.

4 Likes

Yeah I understand, since I’m a modder myself. Since you impressed me with your first game, I’m definitely going to buy your second.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Will your next games support modding?

1 Like

Will UME mods be compatible with this, and how would we upload mods?

If you get access to the workshop beta, as you see above. Possibly UME mods are able to run.

1 Like

Yes and no. At the moment UME generates mods which are not compatible but with a bit of coding knowledge, you could make the required changes to upload UME mods.

I’m sure though that @alphabit plans to update UME to generate Workshop compatible mods.

2 Likes

okay, thanks. could you tell me which changes I need to make and where they are located, I do not know how to do JS stuff.

in this case it’s probably easier to wait for @alphabit to update UME.

1 Like

Or you can PM me, if you are out of luck, I’ll do the coding stuff.

1 Like

@PatrickKlug should a new forum category named ‘workshop’ be created ? Like modding, or game-dev-tycoon for example.

2 Likes

I’m not in my country (so no computer) and I want to make a mod for the workshop

The only thing I can do now is wish to return without thinking about this too much (otherwise the time will be like 1 hour = 3 hours).

Anyway… awsome!

1 Like

Good luck on that. Think about penguins.

2 Likes

Do you know when it will be out of private beta?

Greenheart games, have a cookie: :cookie:.

2 Likes

PM Charlie, if you want to access it