Node-Webkit Steamworks Progress

Have there been any progress getting Steamworks to work with Node-Webkit?

Recently the idea for some sort of Steamworks plugin came up again, and searching the forums found out that you guys posted about your intent to try to get a plugin working for NodeJS.
(Old Post)

While I know that GDT isn’t made with Construct 2, but before they can even get Steamworks in the C2 it has to work with Node-Webkit which I know you guys work with more directly.

Yes, we implemented a custom node plugin to integrate natively with steamworks. It’s compiled for node-webkit and that’s how our own steam integration works. there is limited support for features; at the moment we support steam cloud and achievements.

We plan to open-source the implementation but it requires a bit of cleanup and we need to decide on a license. Will hopefully get to this some time this year.

Are you waiting to publish something on steam?

2 Likes

Not specifically at the moment, but having the option there would be nice for many of the other people who would want to. Some Construct 2 games have been coming out lately and if any of them get Greenlit then it would be a boon to be able to be able to take advantage of it.

Glad to hear that it’s working and you still have plans to release the implimentation :). HTML5 based games are a budding market and eventually people will have more node-webkit games on Steam. I know I aim for that eventually, but I’m more of a hobbyist atm.

It’ll be awesome to see this published in open-source.

I was surprised that Game Dev Tycoon was developed in node-webkit, and I’m looking to follow a similar route for a game I’m developing.

It should be ready in the coming weeks and we will likely publish it under a MIT license so commercial use should be no problem at all :slight_smile:

@PatrickKlug

I just made an account here to write a HUGE thank you for this.

I already have 2 games of mine on Steam, but we made it as a team. This time, I’m making the game on my own using Construct2, and the Steam support for nodewebkit is the very last piece of my publishing puzzle.

Thanks for your time and your generosity. Much, much appreciated!

Heart symbol and all <3

2 Likes

nothing to thank for yet :wink:

seriously though, happy to publish this for others; hopefully more games will use it and improve the very bare-bone features. Unfortunately we had a few delays in cleaning up the project from the contractor who wrote it but I hope that we can publish it next week.

That would be fantastic!

( Wish you the best for GDT regarding the Steam sales! )

Published

Greenworks - a node.js/node-webkit plugin to integrate with steamworks
MIT licensed

Hope this helps :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the release and letting the Scirra forum know about it as well. High hopes for Node-Webkit games on steam now :D.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
It will be very helpful… Thanks again for your time on this one!
(and thank you Thndr too for pointing me this thread)
Will spread the word too and make some devs happy!